Below is an excerpt that addresses the desire to end one's life. The highlighted boxes are the personalized scriptures.
Behind our smiles are tears. We are the victims of depression. We are the ones who are fighting a war within ourselves - a war that consists of many battles on many fronts. Of those won, the losses always seem to eclipse the triumphs. This book addresses the spiritual side of the battle by utilizing personalized scripture, to bring the reader into God's word with the goal of providing serenity and hope. We can be victorious ... through treatment, scripture and prayer.
Fyodor Dostoevsky said, “To live without hope is to cease to live”, and so it is. When we fall into that state of hopelessness, we see no future … No fantasizing about wonderful things happening, because we know they won't. All we see is more pain and misery... a tunnel with no light at the end. During these periods, the thought of leaving this world provides a sense of calm, because there's nothing to look forward to except more darkness. Death is the only option...
For I know well the plans I have in mind for you—oracle of the LORD—
plans for your welfare and not for woe, so as to give you a future of hope.
- For He knows well the plans He has in mind for me …plans for my welfare and not for woe, so as to give me a future of hope.
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the holy Spirit.
- The God of hope fills me with all joy and peace in believing,and I will abound in hope by the power of the holy Spirit.
They that hope in the LORD will renew their strength,
they will soar on eagles’ wings;
They will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint.
- Hope in the LORD will renew my strength, I will soar on eagles’ wings;I will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint.
For you will surely have a future, and your hope will not be cut off.
- For I will surely have a future, and my hope will not be cut off.
The LORD is my portion, I tell myself, therefore I will hope in him.
- I believe The LORD is my portion … therefore, I will hope in Him.
Heavenly Father, I am mired in hopelessness that lures me towards self-destruction. Set me free from this agony. May my heart be open to support so that I can experience the hope Your son so lovingly gave to all of us.