Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or any other ministries.

Saturday, August 16, 2014

An Ounce of Prevention ...



I recently met with my priest for confession, and one of the things I had to admit was missing Mass. By the time I made my appointment to meet with him, I was miserable.

In all honesty, I knew what was wrong, but needed to hear it from my confessor. Consumed by life's distractions; I lost focus and took a detour on my faith journey.  More Masses missed, more distance from God.  Instead of being filled with the Holy Spirit, I was deluged with fear, anxiety, sadness and restlessness.

I dreaded returning after so many absences, and when I dipped my fingers in the holy water, I halfway expected it to burn my skin.  That didn't happen, of course, and when I knelt down, facing the altar and the crucified Christ, a sense of calm slowly returned.  When I accepted the Eucharist, the Holy Spirit coursed throughout my body and soul.  I was whole again.

Lesson Learned:  Benjamin Franklin said, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Attending and participating in weekly Mass keeps me connected to God and prevents me from becoming spiritually bankrupt and suffering the despair that follows.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!