Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or any other ministries.

Monday, March 31, 2014

The Circus Remains




Mr. Carlin's quote inspired me to write about the challenges of life in recovery.

I've been sober for over sixteen years but I'll always be an alcoholic. The danger of relapse lurks around every corner.  Although rare, there are those days I become so overwhelmed I want to escape ... to be free from the momentary stress, grief or pain that darkens my soul.  I've gotten to the point where I've actually gone to the nearest grocery store and cruised the liquor aisle...looking for my favorite brand of bourbon.

The circus Mr. Carlin is speaking of is actually Satan....waiting for those moments of weakness to drag me back into hell.  So far his attempts have been futile, thanks to family and friends with God-given insight to sense my desire to journey back into the abyss.  They pull me back -- sometimes kicking and screaming -- with reminders of how it used to be.  Through them He brings me back to sanity ... back to where He wants me to be and where I want to stay.

Yes, living in recovery can be challenging from time to time but it's better than the alternative...Praise God!

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  (Isaiah 40:29)

Have a Blessed Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!