Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or any other ministries.

Sunday, March 6, 2022

The Wounds of Sin


Lent is the time for reflection and renewal. It is a time to rededicate ourselves to Christ. My Lenten journey started at a shrine tucked away in the Northern countryside of Alabama.

The Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament goes beyond description. I'm ashamed to say I didn't even know it existed until now. The paintings, statues, and displays throughout the shrine are breathtaking and humbling. One display, in particular, brought tears to my eyes - a large crucifix reminiscent of the crucifixion in the movie "The Passion of the Christ."  Watching "The Passion," however, could not prepare me for what I was about to see.

My gaze froze on this large cross that brought the crucifixion to life.  Jesus' flesh was covered with bloody welts from the whip. The nails in his hands and feet and the crown of thorns that pierced his head provided another reminder of the pain He endured.  I kneeled in front of this magnificent cross and tried to pray but couldn't. My eyes remained focused on His wounds.

I suddenly equated each bloodied welt to sins I had committed. They represented the many times I failed Him by words and actions. I contemplated my sinfulness and how it dishonored Him. I recalled the times when self-will won against God's will, resulting in disastrous consequences.

The lifelike display had a profound effect that I will carry forever. It was a wake-up call that I had become complacent in my faith life. I had been taking His sacrifice for granted. Complacency brings sin, and I now visualize another welt forming on our Savior's flesh. That vision gives me pause to discern my words and actions.   

Thank you, Jesus, for your presence even in my sinfulness. May my words and actions reflect your love, mercy, and grace from this day forward.


On a personal note:  Thank you Jacquie, Myra, Father Miguel, and all the others that made this journey so special.  I could never buy an experience that would provide such an impact (not even from Amazon).  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!