Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or any other ministries.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Happy Anniversary

My husband and I got married on May 28, 2000 in Las Vegas but tomorrow (April 8th) we will celebrate our fourteen years of wedded bliss. Confused?  Let me explain.

At the end of my first year of sobriety I separated from a husband that continued the alcoholic downhill slide as I knew if I stayed with him I would most likely give in at some point and reenter the dungeon.  It was during that time I met Michael at an AA meeting.  We both started joining fellow attendees for coffee after the meeting at the local IHOP.  To make a long story short, a friendship grew into love. 




Although we both believed in a higher power, neither of us attended church.  I had never been baptized and he was a non-practicing Catholic so when we decided to marry, we headed to Las Vegas where my parents lived and tied the knot at the Chapel of the Bells on May 28th, 2000.













In 2005 we were invited by Michael's brother and sister-in-law to Mass at St. Timothy's.  Michael felt like he was home again and in the weeks following, I fell head over heels in love with a God I had ignored for the majority of my adult life.  I entered RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults), my first step into the wonderful world of Catholicism.  In order to be baptized I needed to be in a  Catholic marriage so we set a date before Easter Vigil (when I was scheduled to be baptized) to have our marriage blessed. For some reason we felt compelled to make this a "real" wedding; invitations, reception, etc.  The date:  April 8, 2006.



From the date we originally married we enjoyed a joyful and loving life, but after April 8th, it miraculously blossomed into a union beyond description ... and we knew why. Christ was not only wholeheartedly welcomed to the ceremony, He was welcomed into our marriage. 


We are truly blessed!













2 comments:

  1. Congratulations and it's nice to see you Patti. Hope some day Charlie & I can meet your husband and visit. Take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!