Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or any other ministries.

Friday, July 3, 2015

That Explains It!


 
I recently received some ancestry information pertaining to the maternal side of the family.  I only had a vague awareness of the Morse family history and was surprised at a few similarities: 
·        My great-great-great grandparents came to the U.S. from England.  I too came to the U.S. from England.  I was born in Wimpole Park.
·        My great-great –great grandfather was the brother of Jedediah Morse, father to Samuel F.B. Morse (Inventor of the telegraph – Morse Code).  No wonder I’m such a chatterbox!
·        My great-great grandfather (Ahira) and his wife Ann were Catholic.  Through the years, many of the Catholic Morse Clan converted to Protestantism.  I was raised Protestant and converted to Catholicism in 2006.
·        My great-great grandmother (Ann) smoked a pipe.  I smoked a pipe in college – not pot mind you, regular pipe tobacco…always the rebel!
·        My great-grandfather (Samuel) married Amanda Jane Dunbar (I was named after her – Patricia Jane). Amanda was the only child of eight that survived into adulthood.  I too struggled to survive into adulthood due to a plethora of health issues … made of strong stock!
 Some other interesting facts from my mother’s side of the family:
 
        *  Our ancestors have been traced back to the Gauls of France.
 
        *  My great-great-great grandfather fought in the Revolutionary War under George
           Washington.
 
        *   My great-great grandfather (Ahira) fought in the war of 1812.
 
        *   My great-grandfather (Samuel) settled in the Washington Territory and became friends
             with Chief Joseph, Chief Lawyer and Chief Looking Glass - all of the Nez Perce Tribe.
 
        *   My grandmother, Nellie Morse Davis, was a matron at the Washington State Penitentiary.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!