Sunday, January 10, 2016

Whose Sin Is It?





The Holy Spirit provides inspiration at the most unexpected times but as always, the timing is impeccable.




Earlier in the week, I was asked to share my abortion experience with a group of sixteen to eighteen-year-old boys at their Catholic confirmation retreat.   It is so important for young people to understand the consequences of abortion and how one bad choice can have a ripple effect ... but I wasn’t quite sure if I was up to this formidable task.   Regardless of having reservations, I agreed. 

I took to my laptop and gathered notes from prior speaking engagements.  Since this was the first time presenting in front of a youth group, I also enlisted advice from my mentor as well as my Silent No More sisters and brothers.   Three days and a gazillion drafts later, mission accomplished.  I decided to not only share my abortion experience and the subsequent devastation, but the poor choices that led up to  and after that point.

I was scheduled for 6:30 on Saturday night and to calm the jitters, I focused on the NFL play-offs. (I am a football fanatic after all!)  Right in the middle of the first game, I reread what I had written and that is when the Holy Spirit nudged me to touch on the spiritual consequences of abortion and add an ending question:  Whose Sin Is It?   

That question garnered several puzzled looks from the young men, and I heard mostly “the girl’s, the boy’s.”  Then one young man hesitantly uttered, “Everybody’s?”   YES! 

There were still some puzzled looks, which provided me a perfect opportunity to clear up a serious misconception.  Granted, the girl having the abortion is committing a grave sin, but what about those who encourage her?  What about the boyfriend who threatens to leave her if she doesn’t abort?  What about the parents who threaten to disown her or withdraw support if she keeps the baby?  What about the person who drives her to the clinic for the procedure?  Their sin is no different than the girl’s.  Nor is it different from those who agree abortion is wrong but believe others have the right to choose, or those who remain silent on the issue.  And yes, let's not forget the directors, doctors, clinic staff, pro-choice politicians and judges. 

From the Bible


Jeremiah 22:3  Thus says the LORD: Do what is right and just. Rescue the victims from the hand of their oppressors. Do not wrong or oppress the resident alien, the orphan, or the widow, and do not shed innocent blood in this place.

Proverbs 24:11-12:  Did you fail to rescue those who were being dragged off to death, those tottering, those near death, because you said, “We didn’t know about it”? Surely, the Searcher of hearts knows and will repay all according to their deeds.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

"Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offense.” (2272)

 “Since it must be treated from conception as a person, the embryo must be defended in its integrity, cared for, and healed, as far as possible, like any other human being.” (2274)
~~~~~~
 James 2:10-11 says: “For whoever keeps the whole law, but falls short in one particular, has become guilty in respect to all of it..."

But do not dismay: 

1 John 2:1 says:  "My children,  I am writing this to you so that you may not commit sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous one."



There is hope and healing for everyone involved in the abortion decision.  Click HERE for valuable resources. 


      
 




6 comments:

  1. Bless you for your bravery to speak out and I pray that your words will make a bigger impact than you can even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! The best post you've written, so far...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you and bless you for your courage to speak to our youth about such a controversial topic. God is using what was meant to cause total devastation to bring restoration to you and the many who will hear your powerful testimony. Amen! Keep on speaking and writing, sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement Beckie! God Bless!

      Delete

Your comments are always appreciated!