Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Thursday, January 28, 2016

"Neither snow nor rain nor dark of night . . ." Part II - The Drama Continues





After miraculously surviving the van ride, I said a prayer of thanks even though I was disappointed it was too late to meet up with some of my Silent No More sisters and brothers staying at a different hotel.  Along with being disappointed, I was a tad bit stressed and starving but figured after I checked in, I would take my luggage to the room then have dinner at the hotel’s restaurant. WRONG     Contrary to the website’s claim of dinner service, the restaurant was only open for breakfast.  The desk agent handed me a few fliers of local places that “might” deliver under the current weather conditions and sent me on my way.  I made a mental note to mention that in my review on Trip Advisor. 


I took the elevator to my 6th floor room and when I opened the door, I was greeted with a blast of heat and the smell of paint.  The hotel was under renovation which was also not mentioned when I booked the room.  At first, the heat didn’t bother me … I was still chilled, but after a few minutes, sweat started to bead on my forehead.  I wanted to cool the room down so tried to lower the thermostat.  Nothing happened.  I looked for the air conditioning setting … there wasn’t one.  No problem, I’ll just open the window.  WRONG   The windows could not be opened.  All I could do was turn the system off completely.  As far as the paint fumes....I just tried not to take any deep breaths. Two more items for Trip Advisor. 

My growling stomach reminded me I needed to eat.  I called a local Pizzeria and praise God, they were close enough to deliver.  I placed my order, which would take an hour to deliver then started to unpack.  Glancing around the room, I realized something was missing……A COFFEE POT.  Noooooo!  I wasn’t aware of that either.  For those of you that follow me on Facebook, you know I cannot function as a stable, pleasant person without coffee.  My review on Trip Advisor was getting longer. 

Trying to ignore the anticipated havoc that will be unleashed on the public sans coffee the next morning, I finished unpacking, put on my flannel jammies and settled in ... waiting patiently for the pizza delivery guy to knock on my door.  WRONG   The front desk called and said my delivery was in the lobby.  Lobby?  I asked the desk agent why it can’t be delivered to my room and he said it was the restaurant’s policy not to go to the rooms.  My first thought was, am I in a hotel that wasn’t safe for room delivery? 
I was too tired and hungry to plead my case.  Not caring about my appearance, I threw on my jacket over my jammies and picked up my pizza.  Regardless of how angry I was, I did tip the delivery driver generously … it wasn’t his fault for the lousy policy…but again, made a mental note for Trip Advisor. I don’t know if the pizza was good or not.  In fact, at that point, even if they had made the pizza wrong and added much-hated mushrooms and onions, I would have eaten it.  
Stomach full, I was able to calm down and get ready for some much-needed sleep.  By now the room temperature had dropped a little and in time, I was sure it would reach the level of coolness I prefer for slumber. WRONG   Remember when I said I was on the 6th floor?  Well, heat rises…..enough said.  I finally fell asleep, on top of the covers, reminding myself not to breath too deeply, while mentally outlining my expanding Trip Advisor review and convincing myself the next day had to be better (after I find some coffee).  My friend (I call her sis) would be coming from Stafford, Virginia to join me for the March for Life exhibition and a pre-march gathering of some of the Silent No More Group.

At least I had a room with a view! 




Coming up … Part III – Getting to know you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!