Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Monday, November 2, 2015

An Inspirational Guest Blog and Contest by Amber Schamel


Author of over half a dozen books, Amber Schamel writes riveting stories that bring HIStory to life. 
She has a passion for travel, history, books and her Savior. This combination results in what her readers call "historical fiction at its finest".  She lives in Colorado and spends half her time volunteering in the Ozarks. Visit her online at:  www.AmberSchamel.com/


Look Like One of Mine

And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. ~Luke 21:28 

The time that we are living in is truly amazing. We can see Biblical prophecies being fulfilled on the left and right. Truly, our redemption is drawing nigh!  

However, as I travel in our ministry, I see an epidemic circulating in our Christian churches.  Depression runs rampant, suicidal thoughts,  anxiety and stress weighs down the people. It seems like Christians everywhere have their heads drooping toward the ground.  I admit that I have often found myself hanging my head in discouragement.  

As I prayed about this, the Lord spoke to my heart. He reminded me that in His Word it tells us to "look up" to "lift our heads", especially as the time of redemption draws nigh.  So if His children are supposed to be looking up, lifting our heads, is it any wonder that Satan would do everything in his power to make us depressed? To cause us to drop our heads in shame? 

But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. ~Ps. 3:3 

The Lord convicted me that, when I give in to depression and/or discouragement, when I let my head hang low, I don't look like one of His. That's not how a child of The King looks.  Ouch, Lord. 

In light of this thought, I searched the Bible for 'head down' and what I found is that the Scriptures only portray the bowing of the head as a good thing when it is in worship to God. We can worship in humility, heads bowed to the Most High God, but we are not to bow to circumstances and the trials of the enemy.  
"Easier said than done, Father."  I thought.   

Keeping the right attitude is a continual battle, but when we take shelter in the Lord, when we look forward to what He has in store for us, when we glimpse the promises He has left us, a joy will fill our hearts. 

Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
 ~Ps. 24:9 

I'm going to share a few words to a song that came to my mind as the Lord was working through this issue with me. I hope they will be an encouragement to you as well.  

Lift your head, my child; Why do you wear a frown? 
You can't look like one of Mine; 
When you're constantly looking down. 
Does life get so hard, you forget who you are? 
Open your eyes and see; I am everything you need. 
I send you a sunrise every morning; 
To brighten up your day. 
The longest love letter of all ages; 
Is the one I wrote to you. 
I traced it in the stars; 
And I signed in my own blood. 
I'd rather die than let you go; 
And I proved it, just so you'd know. 
With all the storms that I've brought you through,  
This is how much I love you. 

Now that I've shared my story, I'd love to hear from you! Have you battled depression or discouragement? How has the Lord helped you to overcome it? 








4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me on your blog, Patti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the post, Amber. With all that's going on in my life right now, it was definitely something I needed to read! Blessings to you always!

      Delete
  2. Good word, Amber! When we allow what's going on around us to take our eyes off the Lord, it's easy to get discouraged. I'm reminded of another song: God Is Bigger Than The Boogie Man. (Bet you weren't expecting that one.) LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!