Friday, May 22, 2015

Welcome Andrea J. Graham to "An Author Speaks"!



Andrea Graham studied creative writing and religion at Ashland University, has been envisioning fantastic worlds since childhood, and has been writing science fiction novels since she was fourteen. Her Web Surfer Series is being released with Helping Hands Press and she has co-authored novels that were primarily by her husband, Adam Graham. Andrea and Adam live with their cat, Joybell, in Boise, Idaho.


 
 
What five words describe you? 
 
Depends on which quiz you ask. http://www.quotev.com/quiz/3556375/What-Five-Words-Describe-You/ Says I’m Wise, Deliberate, Beautiful, Mature, and Humble 
 
http://www.quotev.com/quiz/1258595/What-five-words-best-describe-you/ Says I’m creative, punky, nice, pretty, and smart 
 
 
What are you working on at the minute? What is it about? 
 
Life After Venus! which is the sequel to Life After Mars? They’re set on a Post World War III Earth’s Martian Frontier in the 2080s, roughly a decade before the main cast of the Web Surfer Series were born. (the Web Surfer Series is two short, five-volume serials and four novels being published by Helping Hands Press.) I realized some of that cast’s parents had lived in interesting times, too, and thought a series focusing on them would make a good introduction to both series’ story world for younger readers and anyone looking for slightly easier reading.  
 
It goes lighter on the AIs and the AI-humans and focuses more on ordinary people with family-centered conflicts at the fore. In the backdrop is a religious society that tried to build utopia and put the military in charge based on a vision of the solider as a hard-working, freedom-loving, peace-loving servant. After a single generation, they instead wound up with a classist system where the civilians are ruled by the brats, with the brats being aristocrats who inherit their military titles from their parents. Despite this, their town’s name, Apricot Pond, suits it perfectly. That isn’t what we’d normally expect, but I find such contrasts irresistible.   
 
Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character
from your most recent book? 
 
I’d prefer unknown, real-life fraternal twin actresses who were half-Latina, half-white, and 12-14 years olds or young-looking 16-17 year-olds, if they played younger than their real ages. 
  
If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why? 
  
Why would I covet another author’s book? I am simply grateful for the story ideas the Lord lays on my heart and hope they inspire readers and glorify God in entertaining ways. 
 
What is the hardest thing about writing? 
  
The beginning, middle, and end.  :)   Half kidding. That varies from day to day, project to project. 
 
Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block? 
  
What I usually do, someone else will tell you not to do, ever. When the story stops flowing smoothly, I back up to the top of the last chapter or so and look for where it got clogged. Every now and again I have to back up significantly farther to find what is nagging me and edit that portion but usually I have to revise the last chapter or so and get that right before it’ll flow again. How often this happens I won’t say, but it is why I finish the first draft a bit slower than people who don’t edit until they have a complete rough draft of their manuscript, but I’ll admit I usually have a manuscript that is in second-draft or third-draft shape by the end. 
 
Where would your dream location be for writing? 
  
Any cabin in the woods/mountains or a lake/sea-side cottage, except it would have to have electricity, etc. and the awesome wi-fi connections you get in the city.  
 
When creating characters, are they based on people in your life? 
  
Not really, sometimes real life situations influence things in subtle ways, but I’ve been avoiding writing real people into novels ever since I got out of my teens. I have a background in theater and method acting, so I usually have at least some angle that I can relate to my main cast from. 
 
If you couldn't be a writer, what would you be? 
  
A mom is my first thought. That is getting less and less likely to ever happen for me each year, but I have a good decade or so left in which to dream of someday having a few cute distractions from my writing to love and give my full undivided attention for however long they wanted it. 
 
What would you tell your younger self that would have helped you in your writing career? 
  
Less time on the fun stuff, more time working on learning how to market books and platform-building and the like. Maybe I should still listen to that advice now.  :)
 
Where can we buy your books? 
  
Amazon, Barnes and noble, the Helping Hands Press store. http://shop.myhelpinghandspress.com/ 
 
How can we keep up with you? Blog, Facebook, etc...... 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I liked this comment: Less time on the fun stuff, more time working on learning how to market books and platform-building and the like. Maybe I should still listen to that advice now. :)
    - I need to do that, too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!