Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Thursday, May 7, 2015

"Uh-Oh" - A Special Post by Marcia Lee Laycock!

 
 
 
 
Have you ever seen that picture of someone with a paintbrush in hand standing in a corner? Yup, you got it. She's standing in the only spot that hasn't been painted yet. She’s looking around and her only thought is, “uh-oh!” She knows she could have a long wait before she can go anywhere.
Have you ever done that to yourself when writing? Those of us who are "seat of the pants" types are probably all nodding our heads. We don’t outline. We don’t plan out the finest details of the plot. We don’t have any idea how this whole thing is going to end let alone proceed. So, predicaments are inevitable.
Don't get me wrong, I love writing that way - it's fun to discover, step by step, how the story is going to develop. I love it when one of my characters does something unexpected, requiring me to puzzle through what’s going to happen next. But sometimes it can put you into a corner you think you can’t get out of. Sometimes it can even cause that dreaded bane of all scribes - writers' block.
It's happened to me and it's not fun. Dark looming fears haunt you - will I be able to devise a way out for this character? Will I have to change all of what I've already written? Is this whole story doomed to failure? What if I can’t do this? What if I never write another story ever again?
I’ve found the only way to stop this ever deepening well of negativity is to give my head a shake and say, hey, this is my story, my imagination and I can do anything I want with it. I can even make this heroine leap out of the corner, paintbrush in hand and leave delightful footprints all over the floor. So ... what if ...
And then the game is on and it’s fun again.
I’m working on the third book in my fantasy series, The Ambassadors. I’ve kind of gotten my heroine into a corner and I’m not quite sure yet how I’ll get her out. But hey, even if she has to grip that paintbrush in her hand and leave those footprints all over the house, I know it’s going to be okay. We’ve been here before, my characters and I, and the challenge of working through the problems has led to some great adventures – both for them and for me, as the writer.
I’ve found a good phrase to keep in mind when I find myself in that place of fear and trepidation is one my mom used to say when we kids started grumbling about being in the car on a long road trip. She’d get a twinkle in her eye and ask, “Aren’t we having fun?”
That would always make us grin if not laugh, and before we knew it we were having fun. 
So I ask myself that question, I grin, and then I laugh, throw my hands in the air and shout, “Whoohoo, here we go again!”
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
Marcia’s writing has won awards in Canada and the U.S.  Her devotionals are widely distributed her debut novel, One Smooth Stone, won the Best New Canadian Christian Author Award. The sequel, A Tumbled Stone has also garnered excellent reviews. Marcia’s work has often received awards. Her most recent release is a The Ambassadors, a YA fantasy series just launched with Helping Hands Press. Marcia is also a sought-after speaker for women’s events. Visit her at www.marcialeelaycock.com

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Love this by Marsha: hey, this is my story, my imagination and I can do anything I want with it. I can even make this heroine leap out of the corner, paintbrush in hand and leave delightful footprints all over the floor. So ... what if ...

    It's so freeing to say that to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Holly! Yes, I really enjoyed this post as well!!!!

      Delete
  2. Writing is adventure, that's for sure! Thanks for sharing, Marcia, and thanks for hosting, Patti!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!