Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Contact

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Setting Aside Fear


My father and uncle live with us and although I absolutely love being their caregiver, it takes its toll on private time with my husband.  Mike and I decided to take a mini-vacay as a late anniversary gift, and chose the Grand Canyon because it’s something we both always wanted to see.

Now comes confession time.  I have a few phobias … Bees (I’m allergic), small spaces (can’t even sleep in a sleeping bag) and unfortunately for this trip – heights.  I break out in cold sweats on mountain roads, avoid flying whenever possible, and embarrassingly, won’t even climb a ladder.

Once we arrived, we took the shuttle bus to all the viewpoints.  I was a "tad bit" apprehensive leaving the security of the bus, but confident there would be railings at the overlooks that would prevent an unfortunate plunge.  Yes, there were some railings and security barriers but mostly open spaces. People stood on rocks right on the edge of the canyon taking pictures (including selfies) and some were hiking down narrow trails with no guard rails, perilously close to sheer drop-offs.  

Watching these people produced a mini panic attack (thank goodness for my inhaler). I’m sure the tourists saw the terror in my face and observed my shaking legs as I gripped the pathway handrails and dragged myself towards the secured viewing areas.  My husband (bless his heart) patiently waited for me and avoided the unsecured areas (at least when I wasn’t looking).  At each vista point, I kept my death grip on the rails but thank goodness the fear and panic didn’t minimize the beauty of this gigantic (and very deep) canyon. I was able to stop shaking enough to focus and even take a few pictures – thinking: HOW MUCH GOD MUST LOVE US TO CREATE SOMETHING SO MAGNIFICENT.  

(Another thought came to mind as well ... if I would have succumbed to fear, I would have missed out on something spectacular.)

"Ever since the creation of the world, his invisible attributes of eternal power and divinity have been able to be understood and perceived in what he has made."
Romans 1:20
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 



 
 




 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!