Tuesday, May 26, 2015

My Take on Deflate-gate



I must have been extremely bored last night (or procrastinating on my writing projects) because I read the complete investigative report on “deflate-gate”.  You might think it’s sour grapes, me being a Seahawks fan, but I have to agree with the conclusions even though nobody was caught red-handed.  In my not-so-expert but realistic opinion, he had to have known the balls were improperly inflated during the game.  Even though he may not have been involved in the “conspiracy”, he made himself complicit by using them.  Also, refusing to turn over text messages and e-mails about the subject matter added fuel to the fire.

It was good to see the Patriot’s organization accept their penalties; however, I’m disappointed that Tom Brady didn’t do the same.  I’ve always admired his talent but as far as I’m concerned, failing to accept his part in all of this drama and failing to cooperate in the investigation has forever tarnished his image. 

This is not the first time a professional sports team has done something to skew the odds in their favor and it’s bothersome. What message is this communicating to our young?    

Cheating is not the American way.  It is small, while we are large.  It is cheap,
while we are richly endowed.  It is destructive, while we are creative. 
It is doomed to fail, while our gifts and responsibilities call us to achieve. 
It sabotages trust and weakens the bonds of spirit and humanity,
without which we perish.
-Terrance McNally

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!