Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Contact

Monday, March 9, 2015

Welcome Cindy Noonan to "An Author Speaks"!



Cindy Noonan writes stirring historical fiction for kids, giving history a heartbeat. She researched many authentic Underground Railroad sites in Pennsylvania, New York, and Canada for her first book, Dark Enough to See the Stars, the story of a twelve-year-old slave boy who flees his plantation and runs away on the Underground Railroad. Her book earned a silver medal for preteen eBook fiction from Moonbeam Children’s Book Awards. She is researching Quaker involvement in the Revolutionary War for her next book 
 
Cindy has lived from sea to shining sea. She spent her first thirteen years on the West Coast until her family moved to New Jersey. For the past thirty years she has resided in Northeast Pennsylvania with her husband, Frank. They have been married forty-six years and have five adult children. She has taught Sunday school, elementary school, and art classes. Cindy is a law enforcement wife who has accompanied her husband around the nation while he worked for the FBI, Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office, and the Pennsylvania State Police. In her spare time she and Frank cheer on their nine grandchildren at soccer and softball games, dance and piano recitals, and stage plays. She also leads a small group Bible study.  


What five words describe you? 
 
Wife, mom grandma, mentor, health nut  
 
What are you working on at the minute? What is it about? 
 
I’m researching the Revolutionary War for a tween novel about a Quaker boy caught between choosing his pacifist beliefs or his desire to help the patriot cause. 
 
Which actor would you like to see play the lead in your most recent book? 
 
Since my protagonist for Dark Enough to See the Stars is a twelve-year-old American slave boy, I selected Jaden Harmon, who was Eric Shayne in Drop Dead Diva, and Lucas Walker in Homeland. 
 
If you could have been the original author of any book what  
would it have been and why? 
 
I would like to have written To Kill a Mockingbird. It’s beautifully crafted and strongly impacted the social mores of the sixties. I want to write fiction that speaks truth that can break the grip of lies that drive a culture, whether it is hatred, prejudice, etc.  
 
What is the hardest thing about writing? 
 
It’s difficult to block out time and make it a priority. I feel guilty when people want my time, don’t understand and think I don’t have a job. It’s also hard to keep my butt in the chair when other things seem more urgent. The following blog by Bill Zipp has been helpful. http://billzipponbusiness.com/hour-changes-everything/ 
 
Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block? 
 
Pray a lot. Read a lot. Take breaks. It’s okay to not always be productive. I tell myself that God will bring the baby in his time, just like he did for Sarah. If I’m listening to His voice He will guide me in the right direction.  
 
Where would your dream location be for writing? 
 
Chincoteague Island, Virginia has been a favorite family vacation spot. Smelling the salt air and listening to the ocean during the quiet off-season would be inspiring. 
 
In creating characters, are they based on real people in your life? 
 
My characters are compilations of historical people I research, and the internal struggles people have faced. Being a senior citizen pays off because I have many experiences to draw upon. 
 
Do you read your reviews? Do respond to them good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to respond to the bad? 
 
Yes, I read my reviews. They are mostly positive, and I try to concentrate on that. Responding to bad reviews only keeps the focus on the negative. 
 
If you couldn’t be a writer what would you be? 
 
Other than being a wife, mother, and mentor to women, I would have been an artist. I took art classes and even taught some. I had no idea I would be a writer until I got the God-nudge when my fifth child was in middle school. 
 
What would you tell your younger self that would have helped you in  
your writing career? 
 
Read more fiction. I always read inspirational non-fiction and thought reading fiction was a waste of time. The joke was on me when God led me to write an urban fantasy for kids, which never got published. I learned that fiction could be a vehicle for moving hearts and minds. 
 
 
Where can we buy your books? 
 
 Amazon, and other online bookstores 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
How can we get in touch with you? Blog, Facebook, etc. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!