Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Friday, March 27, 2015

People Change


 
Everyone makes mistakes, but it is what we do with them that's important.  In most cases we learn, make amends, and move forward in a positive direction.  Why is it so darned hard for some family and friends to move forward with us? 
 
I’ve been in a contentious relationship with a family member for years now.  She was one of the many victims of my wayward life, but with a humble and contrite heart, I apologized for the harm I caused.  She claims she has forgiven me, but continuously rubs my nose in the past, even though the transgressions were over seventeen years ago.  I would understand if I had continued on a downward spiral, but that’s not the case.  Through the grace of God, I changed and practice that change daily in my words and actions.  She sees but won’t accept.  I’ve done everything in my power to reconcile, to no avail.  She is an important part of my life and I love her, but there comes a time when a relationship becomes toxic and needs to end.  So, I'm letting go.  Not with malice, but with love and a prayer that God will bless her with all that is good and that someday she will be able to open her eyes and heart. 

Dr. Steve Mariboli said, “We would do ourselves a tremendous favor by letting go of the people who poison our spirit.”  I wholeheartedly agree.   Do not let anyone, regardless how much you love them, define you by the past …  I can say with certainty and thanksgiving, we are not defined by our mistakes but by the love and mercy of God.

"For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, deluded, slaves to various desires and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful ourselves and hating one another.  But when the kindness and generous love of God our savior appeared, not because of any righteous deeds we had done, but because of his mercy, he saved us through the bath of rebirth and renewal by the holy Spirit, whom he richly poured out on us through Jesus Christ our savior, so that we might be justified by his grace and become heirs in hope of eternal life.  This saying is trustworthy."
Titus 3:5-8
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!