Monday, February 2, 2015

Welcome Sharon K. Connell to "An Author Speaks"!


Sharon K. Connell was born in Wisconsin, grew up and schooled in Illinois through College, attended Bible School in Florida, and retired in Texas to become an author. 
 
Until becoming a self-published author, her writing experiences were in advertising for a food broker and writing interesting local newspaper articles about activities with the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts of America.  She also started company newsletters in offices where she worked over the years, introducing employees and to boost morale within the workplace.  All these activities gave Sharon the desire to start serious writing, although it took the prompting of a dear friend and author, Alan O’Reilly, to get her going with her first book a few years ago. 
 
At the age of twelve years old, Sharon accepted Jesus Christ as her Savior and He now inspires her to write about his love and faithfulness through life’s experiences.  In her storiesshe tries to bring out the things God has taught her as well as formulate a good, exciting story.

Describe yourself in five words.

This is ​always hard for me to answer but what I'd like to think is that I am caring, creative, honest determined and organized.

 What are you working on at the minute? What is it about?

​My fourth novel is titled "Perfect Love" and is about a young woman who has made a mess of her life.  She now realizes that her choices over the years have gotten her into a very dangerous situation.

Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character
from your most recent book?
 
I could picture Sandra Bullock as my leading lady for "There Abideth Hope". She could pull of the Lieutenant JG and civilian nurse - turned a bit of an amateur detective very well.
 
If you could be the author of any book, which one would it be, and why?
 
That's a very hard decision to make; there are so many from which to chose.  ​Pride and Prejudice would be my choice for a novel similar to the style which I try to write, and Jane Austen is my favorite​ in that genre.  She has a perfect combination of romance and excitement to her book.  However, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are actually my favorite books and to write like J.R.R. Tolkien would be a dream come true.  I think he's the most accomplished story teller I've ever read.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

​Having to stop for daily life: house cleaning, meals, personal hygiene, etc.

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block?

​This is something that I have yet to experience, a true writer's block.  There are times when I get stuck for a few minutes, but if I get up from the desk, walk around, do something that needs to be done in the house or go on an errand, I'm ready to go again when I sit back down.  I'm sure a real block is destined to come along sometime in the future, and when it does, I'll simply keep doing what I've done in the past until it's gone.  That's the only advice I can give on this situation for now.

Where would your dream location be for writing?

 ​I dream of being in Ireland, sitting in a cozy little thatched roof, stone-walled​ cottage in the country, near a babbling brook.  I think that would be a great place to write.

When creating characters, are they based on people in your life?

 ​I don't think so.  At least I can't think of anyone in my life that matches my characters so far.  They seem to appear in my mind as I need a person to fill a part.  If they do resemble anyone I know, I'm not seeing it.

Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?

Yes, I have read the few I've received and thanked the people who gave them.  So far, I haven't gotten any bad reviews, but then there haven't been many at all.  I've only been published since Spring of this year.  When they do come, and I'm sure every writer gets a few clunkers, hopefully I will learn from any negative comments and it will help me to become a better writer.

If you couldn't be a writer, what would you be?

Probably a dreamer about being an author, hee hee!  I would simply be retired and a gardener, artist and home maker.

What would you tell your younger self that would have helped you in your writing career?

Do it!  Don't just dream about it; do it!  Get started, even if you don't know what you are doing.  And, read whatever you can get your hands on to read about writing.  Also, read lots of books in the genre you intend to write.  You'll get a ton of ideas from other writers that way and you can choose whom you'd like to emulate. 
Where can we buy your books?

​So far my books are only sold on Amazon and Kindle.  I'd like to think that someday they will be offered in book stores.
How can we keep up with you? Blog, Facebook, etc......

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/averypresenthelpbook1 Novels by Sharon K. Connell
Twitter:  Sharon Kay Connell @SharonKConnell
​My webpage is: ​https://sites.google.com/site/rosecastleplace


5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Patti, for the honor and privilege of being interviewed by you. I appreciate the time you've taken to promote some of your colleagues on your own website. This is truly a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure was all mine Sharon! Loved your answers!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed the interview. I have read Sharon's books and loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes--Ireland! I'd love to have a cottage near the sea on the Emerald Isle. We could be neighbors!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!