Monday, February 16, 2015

Welcome Roberta Brosius to "An Author Speaks"!

Roberta Tucker Brosius is a graduate of Northeastern Bible College, and an alumna of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, both of which prepared her to write Bible curricula and teach high school students at two Christian academies. Her publishing credits include Surviving Meemaw, local newspapers, two Barbour anthologies, The Secret Place, and The Door.  Formerly (and always) a Jersey girl, she now ponders life from Pennsylvania’s Susquehanna Valley, where she lives with her husband, three of her four sons, a few stray puppets, and a ukulele.

What five words describe you?

Messy, funny, newsaholic, insightful, outspoken.

 What are you working on at the minute? What is it about?

I am finishing the rough draft of Surviving Jamaica, the sequel to Surviving Meemaw. Both books star Laney, a high school senior whose family circumstances forced her to move from Arkansas to Pennsylvania, where she lives with her grandmother, the director of a puppet ministry. In Surviving Jamaica, Laney and her high school class take the puppets to Jamaican schools and churches on a mission trip. She has a lot of fun with her boyfriend and friendboy—in spite of Meemaw being a chaperone—but also manages to cause herself and others some trouble.
 
Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?

Shailene Woodley, who starred in Divergent, could play Laney if she dyed her hair a bit darker. Any pretty teen or young adult actress with long dark hair can audition. Someone with comedy experience would have an edge.
 
If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have
been and why?

I want to be the author of books that readers read and reread, whether as comfort food, inspiration, or why-ever. There are several books, or sets of books, that I reread. So I would love to have written Lord of the Rings or Jan Karon’s Mitford books. A lesser known author whom I reread is Kathy Tyers. I would love to have written her Firebird trilogy, because she artfully blends science fiction, romance, adventure, and theology.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

Discipline and distractions. When I finally manage to discipline myself to sit at the keyboard, the distractions take over.

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block?

I’ve had the best results when I’ve asked friends to pray for me to get some writing done.
 
Where would your dream location be for writing?

Any place that’s clean and comfortable, where someone else is making meals appear and taking care of the cleanup. I may be in the perfect location right now. My husband is working out of town and I came with him this week. I have the hotel room to myself during the day, and he takes me out to eat at night.

When creating characters, are they based on people in your life?

They definitely are in the Surviving Meemaw series. I have taught high school students at two Christian schools and they have inspired my characters. The characters are not copies of real people, but composites of several real people, or sometimes the real person is a starting point, and the fictional character takes over. There’s also a bit of me in all my female characters. They say and do what I would if I had the nerve.

 
 
 
 
Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?

I haven’t had any bad reviews yet, but I’ll be ready with a box of Kleenex and an extra-large dark chocolate bar.
 
If you couldn’t be a writer, what would you be?

As I mentioned before, I’m a high school Bible teacher. I consider that my main calling, and writing is a close second.
 
What would you tell your younger self that would have helped you in
your writing career?

I would tell her to carve out more time for writing. I would tell her to get a babysitter and haul her typewriter to the library or some other place where no one could find her.

Where can we buy your books?

Surviving Meemaw is available at Amazon.com and from Helping Hands Press. Surviving Jamaica will hopefully be published within a few months. The 365-Day Fun Bible Facts Book, published by Barbour, can be purchased at Amazon.com and Christianbook.com. I contributed twenty of the essays. Heavenly Humor for the Teacher’s Soul, also published by Barbour, is on the Amazon website. I contributed five of the seventy-five essays.

How can we keep up with you? Blog, Facebook, etc......

My blog is “wit, words, and the Word” at www.robertabrosius.blogspot.com. I’m on Facebook (too much) and have an author page there, which is just Roberta Brosius, Author. You can also find me on Pinterest and Twitter. All of these use my name.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!