Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Contact

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

WELCOME JENNIFER SLATTERY TO "AN AUTHOR SPEAKS"!


Jennifer Slattery writes soul-stirring fiction for New Hope Publishers, a publishing house passionate about bringing God’s healing grace and truth to the hopeless. She also writes for Crosswalk.com, Internet CafĂ© Devotions, and the group blog, Faith-filled Friends. When not writing, Jennifer loves going on mall dates with her teenage daughter and coffee dates with her handsome railroader husband. 
Visit with Jennifer online: JenniferSlatteryLivesOutLoud.  
 
 
 
 
What five words describe you? 
 
Hm… I can’t help but wonder how my dad would describe me, or my daughter, or my husband. I have a feeling they’d all come up with different words! Ha! I’d say persistent, Christian, wife, mother, writer, friend, not necessarily in that order.  
 
What are you working on at the minute? What is it about? 
 
I’m writing a sequel to my debut novel, Beyond I Do. This one follows the journey of Ainsley’s mother (Ainsley was the main character in Beyond I Do).  
 
Freedom to Love: Three people held back by regret but one God to help them rise above. 
 
Sixty-one year old Angela Meadows is ready for a clean slate, to launch a career, and to embrace her new life in Christ. But self-loathing and remorse for a life forever lost hold her back. When she encounters a single mom married to an incarcerated felon and her children, Angela’s shame becomes swallowed by something greater—compassion. Her past draws her to them, but will it drive away the only man she’s truly loved?  
 
Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book? 
 
I am so terrible at answering questions like this! I rarely watch television, and I could count on one hand, divided by two, the times I’ve gone to a movie in the past, oh, I don’t know, ten years? I’d much rather read a book! The characters in my head are such more authentic! Haha 
 
If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it  
have been and why? 
 
Oh, boy… That’s another tough question! I think maybe the Hunger Games. I liked the first book (I never read the others), but felt it was entirely too graphic. I’d like to skip over the graphic parts, add more humor between the dark parts, and maybe end it with more hope. (Did I just infuriate all your readers? Sorry!) 
 
What is the hardest thing about writing? 
 
Being diligent about taking the time necessary. It’s so easy to wash dishes here, fold a load of laundry there, chat on the phone in between. And then, before you know it, your days shot! That might not seem like a big deal on a day-to-day, but it really adds up.  
 
Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block? 
 
Pray! And research. Often, if I’m at a dead-end, it’s because I don’t know my characters well enough, their career, or their primary obstacle and goal. If I have those pieces, the rest usually comes easily. Well, not always easily, but it comes. ;) There will always be days when a writer must force themselves to sit in their desk chair and just get ‘er done.  
 
Where is your favorite place to write? 
 
I’m going to sound utterly boring here, but I’ve been camped out at my desk lately. I’m so much more productive! And I tend to feel better physically. Maybe that’s an ergonomics thing.  
 
Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad? 
 
I do read my reviews, but nope, I don’t respond to them. Unless a reviewer contacts me personally. Then, regardless of how they felt about the book, I thank them for taking the time to read and write the review. Because time is short for everyone. In regard for dealing with the bad—if it’s something you can learn from and take into your next novel, I say do it. I think a writer has to expect bad reviews. It’s just part of the journey  
 
What advice would you give to your younger self?  
 
Draw near to God daily and surrender fully, and often. And if you do that, don’t sweat the other stuff.  
 
Where can we buy your work? 
 
I think pretty much anywhere. I often direct people to CBD as they tend to have the best prices, but my books are available in print and e-book form from any online retailer. I don’t know what bookstores carry it, but if your favorite store doesn’t you can always ask the store staff to order it in. 
 
How can we keep up with you? Blog, Facebook, etc...... 
 
You can visit me on my devotional blog at http://jenniferslatterylivesoutloud.com, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/JenSlatte or on Twitter at @Jenslattery 
 
 
 
When Dawn Breaks: As the hurricane forces Jacqueline to evacuate, her need for purpose and restitution forces her to head north to her estranged and embittered daughter and into the arms of a handsome new friend. Dealing with his own issues, Jacqueline isn’t sure if he will be the one she can lean on during the difficult days ahead. And then there are the three orphans to consider, especially Gavin. Must she relinquish her chance at having love again in order to be restored? 
 
Read a free, 36-page excerpt here: http://issuu.com/newhopedigital/docs/slattery_sampler/1 
You can buy a copy here: http://www.christianbook.com/when-dawn-breaks-a-novel/jennifer-slattery/9781596694231/pd/694231

 
 
 
 
 
Thank you so much for having me on your site, Patti!  (Note from Patti:  Thanks Jennifer for visiting!!!!)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for allowing me to visit with your readers. :) I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure is all mine Jennifer! Thank You!!!!

      Delete

Your comments are always appreciated!