Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Contact

Friday, December 26, 2014

WELCOME CAROLE BROWN TO "AN AUTHOR SPEAKS"!



Besides being a member and active participant of many writing groups, Carole Brown enjoys mentoring beginning writers. She loves to weave suspense and tough topics into her books, along with a touch of romance and whimsy, and is always on the lookout for outstanding titles and catchy ideas. She and her husband reside in SE Ohio but have ministered and counseled nationally and internationally. Together, they enjoy their grandsons, traveling, gardening, good food, the simple life, and did she mention their grandsons?  




What are five words that describe you? 
 
Caring, loyal, friendly, determined, encourager 
 
What are you working on at the minute? What’s it about? 
 
A second cozy mystery called Bat Crazy (first one: Hog Insane--introducing the characters Denton and Alex Davies).  Short blurb: When Denton and Alex hit the road again headed west, they accidentally overhear a conversation that sends them straight to the nearest, ill-kept new cavern where the rumor has it, vampire bats are after blood! 
 
But I always work on more than one at a time. I have second books in series I’m writing, including the second book after With Music in their Hearts, my WWII romantic suspense that releases November 1, 2014. The second book will be called, A Flute in the Willows, with a prospective release date of late 2015. A historical set in the late 1800s,  
Several others percolating while I’m gathering thoughts about how to develop them. 
 
If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been, and why? 
 
Other than the Bible? (Now, wouldn’t that be great to have your name included? Perhaps C.S. Lewis’ Narnia. I haven’t written fantasy--yet--but it would be great to have a work of art like that attributed to my name. Or Jane Austen (in my own style, of course), Jan Karon (again, in my own style!), and I love the writing of Louis L’mour or for more intense, suspenseful writing: Dean Koontz, James Patterson, John Grisham. 
 
What is the hardest thing about writing? 
 
Pushing through to the end. I’m easily distracted and have to focus completely on my writing. I hate being interrupted when I’m in the muse to write.  
 
Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block? 
 
The best thing that works for me is talking it through with one or two of my writing friends or my husband. Hearing their thoughts on how it should go--whether I take their suggestion or not--clears my head and gets me rolling again. Best writing medicine in the world for me.  
  
 Where would your dream location be for writing? 
 
Actually, I can write anywhere as long as I’m not distracted. Ocean, lake, woods, city. I love having periods of time to write, share with my hubby and get his feedback, and seeing the progress I can make then. 
 
When creating characters, are they based on people in your life? 
 
Well . . . Not entirely, but some. I realize I take traits or actions and mannerisms from others, even myself. My likes and interests come into play quite often, even things I would love to do find their way into my novels.  But basically, all the characters are products of my imagination. 
 
Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good and bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad? 
 
Yes, I read my reviews.  No, I don’t respond although I’d love to sometimes. Not that I want to start an argument, but that I’d love to explain or correct the misunderstanding or assumption. Of course, I know it’s better not to. 
 
Dealing with the bad? If you can be objective (and that can be hard! (After all, that’s one of your babies out there being criticized!), then see if there’s any bit that you can use for good. Doesn’t matter what: make you a better writer, help you to not make the same mistake again, be clearer in your book description, whatever. If you can do this, YOU have wrung something good from “bad.” You’ve set yourself to be in charge. Otherwise, ignore and move on. One or a thousand bad reviews won’t make you a non-writer. Just make sure you do the best you can in all aspects of your endeavor! 
 
If you couldn’t be a writer, what would you be? 
 
I’ve always loved photography and think it would be neat to capture images and people in stunning pictures. Now, I might get one-three good ones out of ten shots. I’d think my average would be much better if I had more training. If that didn’t pan out, I’d consider landscaping (with laborers to help with the heavy stuff). I’ve always enjoyed puttering with flowers. 
 
What would you tell your younger self that would help with your writing? 
 
*Start sooner.  
*Be serious about it.  
*Don’t be afraid of failure.  
 
Where can we buy your books? 
 
The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman (women’s fiction with strong elements of romance & suspense): 
Amazon Kindle:  http://amzn.to/17gf97c 
Amazon Print: http://amzn.to/1btCwrg 
Amazon audio: http://amzn.to/1pKKLZz 
Deeper Shopping:  bit.ly/1mkS1XS 
BooksaMillion: http://bit.ly/1dUlVzS 
Barnes and Noble:  bit.ly/1qt76u8 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Hog Insane (a cozy mystery): 
Amazon print:  http://bit.ly/1fd3cCQ 
Amazon kindle:  http://amzn.to/1eDC39t 
Books a Million:  http://bit.ly/1fd3cCQ Barnes & Noble:  http://bit.ly/1dvNA6z 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
With Music in Their Hearts: 
Releases November 1, 2014 and will be available from Amazon and other online stores. You can also check on my blog and facebook 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
How can we keep up with you? 
 
 
I also am part of several other blogs:  
Barn Door Book Loft: http://www.barndoorbookloft.net/  

2 comments:

  1. I love Carole's books and always enjoy her interviews. Also glad to here there is another couple of books to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that you can create short links with AdFly and get dollars from every click on your short links.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!