Friday, November 21, 2014

WELCOME T.C. SLONAKER TO "AN AUTHOR SPEAKS"!



I was born in Philadelphia and grew up in the suburbs thereof.  As a child, I was into art and friends, sweets and shopping.  And I hated reading.  My grades were excellent, though teachers complained that I did not write complete sentences or explain my answers very well. As a teenager, my grades remained great, even though I had now also gained interest in sports, people-pleasing, God, and poetry.  Now I had softball and cheerleading, friends and youth group.  So any creativity I extended had to be brief. College was great, and a degree in elementary education made me read more.  The Freshmen Fifteen made me run more.  And though this was where I met my husband, Jeremy, we did not begin a relationship until I graduated.  So, graduation led to a teaching job (6th grade that first year) and a relationship led to a marriage in 1997.  A few years later, I moved to 2nd grade, and then down to kindergarten. What next? You guessed it.  Out of teaching to care for my own babies.  I now am the happy mama to Hannah, Christian, and Audrey. The funniest thing started happening toward the end of my teaching career.  I began writing children's books.  I felt I had some great ideas and liked keeping it short.  Another way of keeping it short? Contributing short devotions to God Stories. (You'll find me in vol. 3-7 thus far.)  As my children grew taller, my writing grew longer.  And so did the time I spent running.  They go together.  Running for hours gives one a lot of time to think.  What else are you going to do?  So I listened.  What did God want me to write?  Well, start the Angelmen series, and you will find out!  Happy reading to you!


What five words describe you?
 
God-loving mom who writes novels.
 
What are you working on at the minute? What is it about?
 
 I just sent back my second round of edits to my editor on Caedmon of the Angelmen (Book 3 in the Angelmen Series). I'm really excited about how that is turning out right now. After thinking so hard for the past few weeks, I'm going to reward myself by reading something fun. Then I will clean up a couple more of the Angelmen books so they are ready to submit. As far as writing, there is a prequel in the series I have not finished writing yet, so I will either see if I can turn that into something or work on one of the several other stand-alone novels I have begun.
Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Great question! In Asher of the Angelmen, my latest release, I picture Chris Pine (Captain Kirk from the most recent Star Trek movies) as Asher. He's probably a little old to play a high school student, but I could definitely see him as a charismatic football play
If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
Another fantastic question. I wish I would have written Les Miserables. The way Hugo incorporates important themes into such a compelling story is amazing. Character is also the most important aspect of a book to me, and you are hard-pressed to find better characters than in that book.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

 
Writing is fun. I even love editing! The hardest part is trying to market and sell what I've written. I understand that my publisher can only do so much, but I am just not a salesperson.
Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block?
 
What works for me is to go for a run and look around or listen to what's around me. Most of my ideas have come while my blood was pumping on a long run. One time, while writing Asher, I knew I needed one more really exciting event. I went for a run and my asthma kicked in. So a bad run turned into a good idea. And let's just say that it isn't a coincidence that Asher is a runner/ running back.
 
Where would your dream location be for writing?
 
Ahh, let's dwell on this a little, shall we? I am a beach person. Let's find a private beach, just as the sun is dipping into twilight. (Since I'm dreaming, I will pause time while I write.) I will settle my feet into the cool sand with my laptop (which will be impervious to any possible sand damage) on my legs, and a light breeze will pet my arms and brush through my hair to make my blood flow smoothly through my veins. Now, I'm ready to write. (Thanks for that little vacation.)
 
When creating characters, are they based on people in
your life?
 
Never! I am terrified of someone finding out and not liking how they are portrayed. Also, you never know when a story will require you to kill someone off. If a real person ever went missing, I could suddenly become a suspect.
 
Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?
 
I haven't had too many reviews, and I really haven't had anything bad yet. So I am still youthfully innocent about them. I always read them, but I will only respond to them privately if it is from someone I know.
 
If you couldn't be a writer, what would you be?
 
I was a teacher before I was a writer (6th grade, 2nd grade, kindergarten). I have trouble leaving that profession completely, especially when I work with my own three children. Recently, I had gone back to subbing for a year or so and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind either doing some more subbing or perhaps teaching at a college level. I also LOVE organizing things and have fantasized about starting a business to organize people's homes or classrooms.

 What would you tell your younger self that would have helped you in your writing career?
 
Read more. I have always been a slow reader, and so I didn't read a lot voluntarily. But lately, I have read some fantastic books. From them, I have learned all kinds of ways to create interest in my writing.

Where can we buy your books?
 
 

 

I recommend Amazon or Barnes and Noble at the following sites:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 


How can we keep up with you? Blog, Facebook, etc...…
My website has all kinds of information about my books and me - even sample chapters. That site is: http://www.tcslonaker.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!