Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

WELCOME SUSAN REINHARDT TO "AN AUTHOR SPEAKS"!


Susan J. Reinhardt started off as a non-fiction writer. Her publishing credits include: LIVE!, Vista, The RevWriter Resource, The Secret Place, and numerous other periodicals and anthologies. She changed gears and began writing fiction after an experience in Gettysburg. Surrounded by history, she *heard* the voices of the forefathers as fading echoes. Attempts to write a poem or non-fiction piece were unsuccessful, so she put the thoughts aside and prayed. Eight months later, Susan and her late husband were discussing that event when he declared, "That's it! That's your book, and it will be written in 4 months and be called Ghosts of the Past." The first draft was written in 4 months and underwent a name change to Echoes of the Past. Later, it became The Moses Conspiracy. Now, after 2 years of caring for her husband through cancer until his death and 6 years of honing her fiction skills, The Moses Conspiracy has been published. A widow, stepmom, daughter, and follower of Jesus Christ, Susan enjoys reading, couponing, gardening, family time, and searching for small treasures in antique shops.
 
 
What five words describe you? 
 
Dependable, Devoted, Detailed, Loyal, Loving 
 
What are you working on at the minute? What is it about? 
 
I'm working on the third book in The Moses Trilogy called, "Out of the Mist." A new girl is in town, and she's a feisty one. She's giving our folks from the other books lots of worry and frustration, but she's also won the sympathy of some.  
 
Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book? 
 
I'm not a big movie person, so I'm drawing a blank here. I think I'd consult with some of the major producers of Christian movies for their advice. 
 
If you could have been the original author of any book,  
what would it have been and why? 
 
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers would be my choice. The story of God's love combined with superb writing make it my all-time favorite Christian novel. 
 
What is the hardest thing about writing? 
 
It's easy to get my characters into a heap of trouble, but hard to get them out. LOL! The situation mimics real life. 
 
Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer's block? 
 
I take a short break from the manuscript, pray, and then do something I enjoy. I trust that God will give me the answers I need as I turn over possible scenarios in my head. He always comes through. :) 
 
Where would your dream location be for writing? 
 
Where I write now - my home office. It's quiet, filled with books and things that inspire me. 
 
When creating characters, are they based on people in your life? 
 
I tend to store little details in my head - quirks, character traits, voices, mannerisms, etc. Each character has a backstory that they reveal as I write. As a rule, I don't base them on people I know. We're all so unique, and I do my best to create individuals rather than clones. 
 
Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad? 
 
Doesn't everyone? If I know a person, I'll thank them for a good review. I don't respond to bad reviews. Everyone has a right to their opinion.  
 
Bad reviews can give the positive reviews credibility. A lack of bad reviews can raise red flags for readers. After all, everyone isn't going to love our work. 
 
If you couldn't be a writer, what would you be? 
 
Since I'm not a full-time writer, I can answer this with no problem. As an Administrative Assistant, I deal with lots of details. I like being the person behind the scenes, as well as the writer behind the characters.  
 
What would you tell your younger self that would have helped  
you in your writing career? 
 
Learn the business before you present your work to agents/editors. I had no clue what I was doing in the beginning. I could have saved myself a lot of time, energy, and even rejection if I'd done my due diligence. 
 
Where can we buy your books? 
 
My ebooks and print books are available on Amazon, while ebooks are also available on Barnes & Noble and Kobobooks. Below are the links for Amazon Kindle: 
 
The Moses Conspiracy 
 
 
The Christmas Wish (Note: This is a peek at a 4-month period between the other two books.) 
 
 
The Scent of Fear 
 
 
How can we keep up with you? Blog, Facebook, etc... 
 
 
 
 
 
Twitter - - @susanjreinhardt 
 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Patti -

    Thanks for having me on your blog today. Sorry I'm so late checking in, but I just returned from sunny Florida.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Sorry you're back in the cold weather....

      Blessings back!!!

      Delete
  2. Great interview! It's always fun to learn new things about my online writing friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carol -

    Thanks! Each interviewer seems to find unique questions, making it so much fun.

    God bless,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great advice on 'learn the business.' Interesting interview.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!