Tuesday, November 25, 2014

WELCOME LORAINE D. NUNLEY TO "AN AUTHOR SPEAKS"!

My mom took me to the library from the time I was a baby.  I learned how to write my first name just so that I could get my first library card (which I still have, by the way).  Our library had a bus service on Saturdays that would take children to and from our public library all day long and I went every week.  I would go and come home with a stack of books that I couldn’t see over.  That is not an exaggeration.  That was before libraries placed limits on how many books you could check out.  It wasn’t unusual for me to check out twenty or thirty books at a time.  At first my mom would tell me that I shouldn’t check out so many because I wouldn’t be able to finish them.  She soon found that I usually made it all the way through the stack with time to spare.  My appetite for reading was voracious.  As a natural progression, my reading lead me to writing.  I was always thinking of stories and poems, always writing, always jotting down notes of ideas.  When I was in elementary school, I entered into the Young Authors contest every year.  That was my first experience in having my writing made into books.  As I grew up, life and its responsibilities got away with me.  I had so many unfinished writing projects that sometimes I would get discouraged from writing.  But never for too long because writing is so much a part of me.  I began a fictional romance in high school that I spent years rewriting and perfecting.  Finally, after twenty years, I finished it to a point where I could submit it to a publisher.  My synopsis was good, because it made the publisher wanted to read my story, but the story itself wasn’t what it needed to be.  That was my first rejection.  The criticism was constructive, but I am somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my writing, so I took it hard.  I put that story away and haven’t looked at it since.  Perhaps one day I will go back and do it justice, but for now I am focusing on some of the millions of ideas that I get every day.
My books are in a few different genres because I have enjoyed writing in different ones.  All of them are borne out of love for God, my family and the written word.  I hope you will enjoy what I have written as much as I have enjoyed writing it.  Please let me know what you think of my website and/or my books.  I am always happy to connect with my readers.


                                                         What five words describe you?

                                        Detailed, quiet, devoted, introspective, honest

                                What are you working on at the minute?  What is it about?

I always have several projects going on at any time.  I am working on four main projects right now - the third book in my children's series about military aircraft, a Christian remarriage help book that ties into the Fruits of the Spirit and a Christian romance suspense novel, and the second book in my children's fiction series "The Almost Normal Adventures of Hannah and Rebekah" where Hannah and Rebekah find themselves in the year of 1793 at the first hot air balloon launch in America.

                      Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from
                                                               your most recent book?
 
Bailee Madison for Hannah and Hayley Nault for Rebekah

                           If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it
                                                                have been and why?

I never thought about that before.  I guess I would have to pick one of my favorite books from my childhood, Anna Sewell's "Black Beauty".  I would love to write a wonderful story that stands the test of time.
                                               What is the hardest thing about writing?


Making the time to write something every day.  Life is so busy sometimes that it can be difficult to make your writing a priority.

                                     Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block?

Since I am always working on more than one project at a time, I will just switch projects when I find myself getting stuck on one of them.  I also like to read and I find that getting into another author's story will sometimes help me with mine.

                                            Where would your dream location be for writing?

I would like to write something that takes place in Ireland.  It is some place that I always wanted to visit.

                                 When creating characters, are they based on people in your life?

I based my children's fiction book on two of my daughters.  I really like the differences in their personalities and how they work together.  For my work in progress fiction writing, I tend to base characters more on people that I would like to know with some bits and pieces of people that I already know.  I think of my characters as new friends.

Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you
have any advice on how to deal with the bad?

I always read my reviews.  Good or bad, I want to know what my readers are saying.  I feel it helps me become a better writer.  I never respond to actual reviews, but I will respond to comments from my readers.  I take bad reviews hard since I am my own worst critic, but they serve to keep me grounded and make me work harder.  I just tell myself not to take it too personally and use it to motivate me.

                                                   If you couldn't be a writer, what would you be?

I was an accountant before leaving that career to be a stay-at-home mom.  I love accounting and if I weren't taking care of my family and writing, I would go back to that career.

                          What would you tell your younger self that would have helped you in your
                                                                            writing career?


Write every day and push yourself to keep on writing.  There were many times when I let life get in the way of my writing.

                                                             Where can we buy your books?

My books are available through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1?ie=UTF8&field-author=Loraine+D+Nunley&search-alias=books&text=Loraine+D+Nunley&sort=relevancerank

and also through Createspace:
https://www.createspace.com/pub/simplesitesearch.search.do?sitesearch_query=loraine+nunley&sitesearch_type=STORE

                                          How can we keep up with you?  Blog, Facebook, etc......

Author Website: 
http://lorainenunley.com
Goodreads:  http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6995771.Loraine D Nunley
Facebook: 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loraine-D-Nunley-Author/171589986325948
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/LoraineNunley
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/lorainenunley/boards/
Blog:  http://www.successfulchristianremarriage.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me on your blog today Patti. I really appreciated the opportunity to connect with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting! It was my pleasure to have you!

      Delete

Your comments are always appreciated!