Monday, November 3, 2014

TRAVIS PERRY IS MY GUEST TODAY ~ DROP IN AND SAY HI!



From a small Montana town where for a time I rode a horse to school, as an adult moved to Texas, I'm an Army Reserve officer who has served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I have a deep interest in history, science, and worlds of imagination and at the same time am a committed Evangelical Christian. I speak multiple foreign languages, and am working to become a commercially successful writer of science fiction and fantasy.








What five words describe you?
Imaginative, scientific, experienced, visionary, solitary

What are you working on at the minute? What is it about?
I'm working on a novel called "The Bond of the Sword" that explores war in a Fantasy context and stories for the Colony Zero series, a futuristic set of stories about a space colony where those who are "less than perfect" as sent to die--but thrive instead.

Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Hmm. My most recently released story was Medieval Mars, which is about a future terraformed Mars collapsed back into medieval technology. My main character kinda looks like a young blonde Ethan Hawk.

If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
I would have liked to have written Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. It would have been a great opportunity for me to talk about Christian ideals within the context of the other broad concepts of society Asimov touched on in that classic sci-fi series.

What is the hardest thing about writing?
Actually getting myself to sit down and write. It seems I'm always able to think of something else that could be done. More story research, for example.

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block?
The worst writer's block I have ever had was caused by me thinking of the story only in the terms of how it affected the good guys. Once I started thinking about what the villain wanted and what the villain was doing, the whole story pretty much finished itself. I know that tip wouldn't apply to every writer, but it might help some.

Where would your dream location be for writing?
How about my own base on the moon? :)

When creating characters, are they based on people in your life?
I base characters on historical figures at times, on aspects of my own personality at times, and on aspects of people I've known in real life. On occasion, I will use a character virtually identical to someone I've actually known.

Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?
I do read my reviews. I'm content so far to simply read them. I have mostly received good reviews. I did receive one email from a friend who didn't like one of my stories. I apologized to her about it. I felt bad and tried to remind myself not every story is for everyone. I'm not sure that constitutes advice. :)

If you couldn't be a writer, what would you be?
You're letting me pick anything? Why not an astronaut? But if you're going to make me be realistic, I'd like to be a college professor. I like to teach.

What would you tell your younger self that would have helped you in
your writing career?

All those stories you imagine God never intended for you to keep to yourself. Write them down!

Where can we buy your books?
The second page of my blog lists all my current stories for sale with links to Amazon for each one: http://travissbigidea.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

How can we keep up with you? Blog, Facebook, etc......
My blog is my main way:
Also my Twitter:
https://twitter.com/tt_perry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!