Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

SLEEP TIGHT



The description of my blog includes the term, "ramblings of a sleep deprived author", which is true. I do ramble, and I am sleep deprived ... but that's, as they say, how I roll. Most of my sleep deprivation is due to my writing schedule.  It is quiet in the wee hours of the morning and minus interruptions (except for the snoring dogs).  It's the other sleepless times I want to address.

We all have those nights when we lay in bed staring at the ceiling, tossing and turning.  I don't know who came up with the "counting sheep" idea, but that's not a sleep-maker for me.  No matter how many times I try to count, my mind wanders all different directions, and I lose my place. Advice from family and friends is plentiful: Drink warm milk, take a sleeping pill, soak in the tub, turn on some soft music, sip hot tea ... the list goes on and on.



One day while listening to Christian radio, the topic of insomnia came up.  The guest offered his view on the subject, and it touched my heart. I promised myself the next time I fell victim to sleeplessness I would follow his advice, and you know what?  It worked.

I can't remember his exact words so I'll use my own with hopes of doing him justice:

When you find yourself unable to sleep, it's because someone is in immediate need of prayer. Slide out of bed, get on your knees, and pray the "Our Father", "Hail Mary" and "Glory Be", dedicating each one to a soul in need.  You will be amazed at the serenity that will follow, and when you crawl back into bed, your mind and heart will be at peace.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!