Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Friday, October 24, 2014

My Guest Today is Tracy Krauss - Drop in and say hi!


Tracy Krauss is a best-selling and award winning author, playwright, artist and teacher. She is a member of 'American Christian Fiction Writers', 'The Word Guild', and is on the executive of 'Inscribe Christian Writers Fellowship' a Canada wide organization for writers of Christian faith. Originally from a small prairie town, Tracy received her Bachelor's Degree from the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Sask. with majors in Art, and minors in History and English. She teaches High School English, Drama and Art. Apart from her many personal creative pursuits, she also directs an amateur theatre group and leads worship at her local church. She and her husband, an ordained minister with thePAOC, have lived in many remote and unique places in Canada's north, including Churchill Manitoba - the 'polar bear capital of the world', the Yukon, and the NWT. They raised four children and were active advocates of the homeschooling movement for many years. They currently reside in beautiful Tumbler Ridge, BC, known for its waterfalls. 

What five words describe you?
Creative, energetic, tenacious (a nice word for stubborn), passionate, and outgoing.
What are you working on at the minute? What is it about?
I am working on Volume 9 of my NEIGHBORS Series. It is the last in the series and is called 'There Goes the Neighborhood'. It wraps up all the previous story lines and ends with one of the more quirky characters inviting his entire family for a visit. Hopefully this will translate into a second series.
Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
I think Bradley Cooper would make a great 'Lester Tibbett' in the series. He is a former rodeo cowboy who has to move to the city to find a job.
If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti. It had (and still has) such impact and was a break through novel in regard to spiritual warfare. Also, its a great story.
What is the hardest thing about writing?
Actually, the hardest thing is what happens after it's written.
Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block?
Write through it. Take control of your muse, not the other way around. I often just skip a problematic scene and come back to it later.
Where would your dream location be for writing?
Anywhere as long as the lighting is good, I have a comfortable chair, and people don't bother me. Seriously, I'm not fussy because when I get in the zone my surroundings melt away anyway.
When creating characters, are they based on people in your life?
Not necessarily, although I have created characters that are a conglomerate or who are based on 'types' that I have come across in my many travels.
Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?
I try to keep up with reviews, but I rarely respond. If it is a positive review I may thank the person but I never, ever respond to a negative review. Negative reviews are just part of the business, and in fact, they add credibility to your overall profile. It means I'm not paying someone or only getting my friends to say nice things. Not everyone is going to 'love' me and I am fine with that. Even the most famous authors have negative reviews. I think you have to become thick skinned in this area. If it is a legitimate criticism, then learn from it. If not, just move on.
If you couldn't be a writer, what would you be?
An artist. Wait a minute, I am an artist. I also teach drama, which is kind of my dream job already.
What would you tell your younger self that would have helped you in your
 writing career?
Take a risk sooner, as in submitting work. I was so afraid of rejection that it took me decades to finally submit anything. As it turns out, rejection has been the best teacher I ever had.
Where can we buy your books?
They are at Amazon, B & N, Chapters, etc... all the usual places. Or if you go to my website, I list several options. http://tracykrauss.com
How can we keep up with you?
My website has all the links for my FB page, blog, twitter, pinterest, linkedin etc. or people can sign up for my newsletter.

6 comments:

  1. Great interview. I especially like your comment that the hardest thing about writing is what happens after it's written. Well put.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words, Tracy! Terrific interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by William! Yes, Tracy has shared a great deal of wisdom!

      Delete

Your comments are always appreciated!