Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

My Guest Today is Joy Ross Davis - Drop in and say hello!

  
Joy Ross Davis is of Irish descent and a student of the lore and magic found in the hills of Tennessee. After a twenty-five year career as a college English professor, she traveled to Ireland and worked as a writer and photographer, publishing numerous travel articles and photos for an Irish travel agency. She has been a contributing feature writer for a local newspaper and has published articles in Southern literary magazines. She lives in Alabama with her son and beloved dogs. She loves to speak at conferences, book club meetings, and events to share her connection with angels and the stories behind her books.



>What five words describe you? 

Quiet
 Caring
Imaginative
Creative
Obsessive when I'm writing.


>What are you working on at the minute? What is it about? 

The latest volume of Sisters Divided about the continuing mission to get their wings, and the inevitable sneakiness of Maeve.  

>Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book? 

Liam Neeson (for TuckerD) 
  
>If you could have been the original author of any book, 
what would it have been and why? 

Kristin Lavransdottir (1928 Pulitzer Prize winner) 

>What is the hardest thing about writing? 

Disciplining myself to get it done, to work a little every day. 

>Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block? 

My strategy is simply to work on another story while I’m waiting for my creativity Muse to send ideas. I also make notes late at night before bedtime. Sometimes, this helps shake out all the hidden treasures.  

>Where would your dream location be for writing? 

Any place that is comfortable and offers stunning views. Ireland would be my first choice.  
  
>When creating characters, are they based on people in your life? 

Perhaps they are. Some of them certainly are, but others are products of an over-active imagination. I do find that certain character traits are identical to those of people I know or have known. 
  
>Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? 
Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad? 

I read all of them, every single one. I rarely respond to any of them. I have, so far, one poor review on Amazon,  a 2-star review. The person who wrote the review said she didn’t like the novel because it wasn’t a mystery. But it wasn’t ever advertised as a mystery. I didn’t respond to the review, no.    

>If you couldn't be a writer, what would you be? 

A teacher, I suppose, since that is what I spent my adult life doing. I can’t imagine not being able to write.  
  
>What would you tell your younger self that would have helped 
you in your writing career? 

Listen to your mother. She was right all along.  

>Where can we buy your work? 

Online at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, for kindle or in paperback.  
  
>How can we keep up with you? Blog, Facebook, etc...... 

Twitter: @joyrossdavis

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for dropping by! We should plan a writer's trip to Ireland for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ready, Patti...planning a trip now, as it happens!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the interview with Joy. I have enjoyed getting to know her on FB. I will be glad to make the trip to Ireland with you and help with the luggage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann. I'd be happy to have you come along!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this interview and gaining a litte peek into Joy's personality :) Thanks, Patti.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!