Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Have a Seat: Brenda K. Hendricks!

Author/illustrator, Brenda K. Hendricks uses her BS in Biblical Theology to teach children of all ages. Her blog My Quotes of Encouragement is a combination of stories, anecdotes, and personal experiences. Some of her artwork and book cover designs are featured on Brenda K. Hendricks. She has also written and illustrated a number of picture books including What’s the Buzz, Bumbly Bee?, What’s Better than That, Seren Dippity?, Much More to Christmas, and a tween novel Trouble at Turnabout Creek. Two short stories published by Helping Hands Press were recently added to her published works: Sly’s Christmas Surprise and Darkness Before Dawn. Brenda is a member of the, the Susquehanna Writers’ Critique Group and the John 316 Marketing Network. As part of her ministry, Brenda blends her artistic talent with her "gift to gab" to enhance the learning experience at women’s events and writers’ conferences.


What inspired you to become a writer?

The voices in my head inspire me to write. Okay, that sounds creepy. But I create stories and images in my mind that need to be written so I can figure out how the characters get to the end. I usually know where they start and where they’ll end up. It’s the getting there that has me puzzled. So I write their stories to satisfy my curiosity.
Mostly, my stories are inspired by situations or current issues that I can’t find the means to help other people understand any other way.

Which one of your books do you consider your “pride and joy”. Why?

That’s like trying to select a favorite among your grandchildren, you know that don’t you? My newest release, Trouble at Camp Turnabout Creek, would possibly be my “pride and joy,” at least for now. There were a lot of surprises that happened as I wrote the book. Like a bear showing up at the campgrounds and the theme that wove its way through the story and became very clear at the end. Should I admit I didn’t really plan those things? I don’t know, but I really like when that happens.

Do you have any preparation rituals before you begin to write?

If you consider a ton of prayer a ritual, that would be it. I also procrastinate a little by checking email and Facebook a dozen times before I actually get started.

If you had to come up with a book title to describe your life, what would it be?

The Life and Times of a Procrastinator.

If you had a chance to have dinner with any author who would it be?

I always wanted to meet Bill Meyers. God granted me the opportunity to have lunch with Mr. Meyers about a year ago. He’s a very personable and down-to-earth man. I think I’d choose him again.

We all have family, work and other obligations...how do you maintain balance while in the middle of a writing project?

I’m not very good at balancing family, work, and other obligations with writing. I’m either very focused on writing or very focused on the rest of life. I hope that somehow in the end it all balances out.

What is the one piece of advice you received about writing that helped you the most?

Rewrite! Rewrite! Rewrite! It’s the only way to hone the craft and gain the skills needed to improve.

Where can we purchase your books and how can we keep up with you?

All of my books and short stories can be found at:
Friend me on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/BrendaKHendricks


Last, but not least.....What and when is your next release? Provide a brief synopsis....

Man, I sure wish I had a definite answer to this question. I’m working on several projects at the moment. But I’m not sure what or when the next release will be. But there’s a good chance I’ll have another picture book ready in the next few months. The title is You Want to What, Nibs Rabbit? The third book in the Bumbly Bee series is about a rabbit who’d try just about anything to learn to fly so he can join the high flyer’s club. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!