Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Have a Seat: Ruth L. Snyder!

Ruth L. Snyder was privileged to spend the first 10 years of her life in southern Africa where her parents served as missionaries. From there her family moved to Canada, settling in Three Hills, Alberta. Ruth enjoyed her years as a "staff kid" at Prairie and is grateful for the biblical grounding she received there. She now resides close to Glendon (the pyrogy capital of Alberta, Canada) with her husband and five young children. Ruth enjoys writing articles, devotionals, short stories, and Christian fiction. She is a member of The Word Guild and The Christian PEN. Ruth currently serves as the President of InScribe Christian Writers' Fellowship.

    What inspired you to become a writer?
I still remember the day I realized those squiggles on the page had meaning and I learned to read. Stories fascinated me and I loved to communicate through writing. My parents were missionaries in southern Africa, so I first "met" all my relatives through letters and pictures. My mother encouraged me to describe events and scenery for my grandparents when we wrote our weekly letters. This love of reading and writing continued to grow. However, I did not consider myself a writer until after I won The Word Guild's contest for novice writers (a few years ago) and claimed my prize, which was free registration for the Write! Canada conference.

Which one of your books do you consider your "pride and joy".  Why?
Currently I only have one novella that has been published. Cecile's Christmas Miracle enabled me to write an engaging story as well as share facts about the country of Botswana, which is one of the places my parents worked. People have told me they enjoy reading about the unique setting of the Kalahari Desert and they want me to complete the story about Cecile and Colin.

Do you have any preparation rituals before you begin to write?
                   
I often plan my stories in my head and think about them for a while before I write anything down on paper. I like a general overview of the plot before I start writing details: an engaging start to hook readers, the main problems/fears my character(s) are facing, some obstacles they will face, and how the story ends. Once those details are clear, I start writing, filling in the other details as I go. Every week day morning I get up at 5:30 (before my husband and five kids wake up) spend a few minutes catching up on e-mail and Facebook, read my Bible and pray, and then write for 30 minutes before I make breakfast. This makes it possible for me to write every day. I also spend time writing while my children are at school.

If you had to come up with a book title that described your life,
what would it be?

Lessons in Grace - I'm very thankful for the godly heritage I have. As I look back over my life, I see God and His grace at work.

If you had a chance to have dinner with any author, who would it be?

Ted Dekker - He grew up as a "missionary kid" too and I really enjoy his writing. It would be fun to be able to talk to him about his writing and how he makes it work for him.

We all have family, work and other obligations...how do you maintain
balance while in the middle of a writing project?

I'm still working on this! I try to do my writing while my children are sleeping or at school. When they're at home I aim to spend time with them. I've experimented a bit this year with my schedule and figured out I only want to teach music a couple days a week so that I have quality time to spend on writing. During my writing breaks, I often throw a load of laundry in or wash the dishes. Sometimes to meet a deadline I have scheduled a day at our local library while our oldest daughter looks after the rest of the children for me.

What is the one piece of advice you received about writing that helped
you the most?

Write, write, and write some more, every day.

Where can we purchase your books and how can we keep up with you?  

Cecile's Christmas Miracle is available on Amazon.ca http://amzn.to/1fANOek, Amazon.com http://amzn.to/1fAO4tP, Barnes & Noble http://bit.ly/NgOezx, and Kobo http://bit.ly/Mr1oZr 


Last, but not least...What and when is your next release?  Provide a brief synopsis.

My next two releases will both be part of The San Francisco Wedding Planner series, a light romance published by Helping Hands Press. There are six of us participating in this project. Volume one introduced the series with each of the participating authors writing one of the chapters in the volume:

Heather Donovan has no time for her own romance—she’s busy making wedding dreams come true for other people and trying to reel her lonely and lovesick widowed mom Gloria back from beyond the brink of good taste. Her receptionist, Raul, is as interested in his hair style as he is in the clients. Indigo, the wedding photographer, never goes anywhere without his beret—or his attitude. Toss in Skye, the mommy-track best friend who wants to breathe organic air, Mario, the talented, hotheaded caterer with an eye for the ladies, and a tall, dark, and handsome stranger visiting the office on the eve of the busiest weekend ever, and you have a recipe for disaster. Or love. Or maybe both?

I will be writing volume 7 to finish off the first series. I'm also writing Heather's backstory for the second series. Volume 7 of the first series will be released on June 19, 2014.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting interview, Patti. Nice to get to know Ruth a bit better through your questions and her answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know more about you Ruth!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!