Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Have a Seat: Marsha Hubler!


Marsha Hubler, author of the best-selling Keystone Stables Series from Zonderkidz, lives in central PA with her husband and two dogs. She has a master’s degree in education, over 40 years experience with children of all ages, and presently works with homeschoolers in her home office. Her latest published works, THE LOVES OF SNYDER COUNTY SERIES and THE SNYDER COUNTY QUILTING BEE SERIES 2 SHORT STORIES, Amish/Mennonite fiction romance by Helping Hands Press, was created out of Marsha’s friendship with many Plain Folk who live in Snyder County. On the side, Marsha serves as acquisitions editor for Helping Hands Press. She’s always looking for excellent writing in fiction for tweens and older, horse stories, Christmas and Easter stories, and curriculum on all grade levels for the Helping Hands Supplemental Educational Division.

    What inspired you to become a writer?
I had always loved writing poetry and short stories from a child up. I had three teachers, one in 3rd grade, one in 7th, and a college prof, who encouraged me with my writing.

    Which one of your books do you consider your “pride and joy?”
I suppose of the 17 books I have in print, A HORSE TO LOVE, volume one in THE KEYSTONE STABLES SERIES (published by Zonderkidz), would be my choice. Why? It not only is the first book in an 8-book best-selling series with over 100,000 in print, but the book brings back fond memories of pitching my story to the Zonderkidz editor, Barbara Scott, at the Montrose Christian Writers’ Conference in 2001, which started the whole process of seeing the dream of my girl/horse series come true.

    Do you have any preparation rituals before you begin to write?
I sit before my computer and sweat a lot. (Ha ha)

    If you had to come up with a book title to describe your life,
    what would it be?
By the Grace of God, I Am What I Am (Part of the Bible verse 1 Corinthians 15:10)

    If you had a chance to have dinner with any author who would it be?
God, the Author of the Bible

    We all have family, work and other obligations...how do you maintain balance while in the middle of a writing project?
Writing and editing has become a top priority in my daily schedule. If I have four solid hours of writing on any given day, that’s a good day. If my schedule sabotages my writing on one day, I try to make up for it on another.

    What is the one piece of advice you received about writing that helped you the most?
Being a member of a local or online critique group is ESSENTIAL to improve one’s writing and to become a published author. Those other pairs of eyes will find the flaws in what you think is a “perfect” manuscript. I wouldn’t be where I am today with my writing without our two local critique groups.

Where can we purchase your books and how can we keep up with you?
Most bookstores carry my books, and I’m on Amazon:


I have three active blogs, and I’m on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Pinterest:

MY WRITERS’ TIPS & AUTHORS’ BLOG: http://marshahubler.wordpress.com/
MY LOVES OF SNYDER COUNTY FAN PAGE ON MY BLOG: http://marshahubler.wordpress.com/the-loves-of-snyder-county/

    Last, but not least.....What and when is your next release?
I’m writing a series of 12 short stories in the collection, THE SNYDER COUNTY QUILTING BEE SERIES 2, which updates readers on the lives of the characters introduced in my LOVES OF SNYDER COUNTY Amish/Mennonite fiction series released over a year ago. I just had volume 4 released, NO FURLOUGH FOR MANDIE, which is available as an e- book. (URL listed with the answer to question 8)
Synopsis: Mandie and Tobias Schmidt, missionaries to Jakarta, Indonesia, have waited two years to come home to Snyder County for a six-month furlough. With their nine-month-old baby, Lydia, the couple plans to spend quality time with their families and travel to numerous states, presenting their ministry to Mennonite churches, whose congregations pray for the couple and sometimes offer financial support. But Mandie and Tobias’s furlough is cancelled after only a few weeks because of a crisis back in Indonesia. What happens that forces the couple to consider returning to Indonesia immediately? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!