Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Contact

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

No Cheese with this Whine - Fellow Writers: Care to Share?

The writing process can sometimes pose insurmountable challenges. Well, maybe not insurmountable; frustrating might be a better word.  Volume III of my suspense/thriller series, Grave Obsessions, was proceeding at break-neck speed, only to come to an agonizing, screeching halt ~ thrusting me unmercifully into the depths of despair (so I'm a little melodramatic...indulge me a bit!).

The cause of this catastrophe?  Turning a deaf ear to a character's wishes ~ and the consequences were ugly, very ugly.

Dallas Keegan, my main character, was telling me to slow down and follow her lead. Did I listen? Nooooooo!  I kept telling her, "Quit bugging me, I know what I'm doing," and continued on my merry way -- confident I would be finished with Volume III in record time.  It wasn't until the 6,500 word mark I stopped to do a pre-edit review.  I realized the path I was on had too many detours and would thoroughly confuse the reader (it already confused me).

So ... I wore out the delete button on the keyboard and ended up with a mere 4,000 words and a case of the (albeit temporary) 3 D's:  Disappointment, Defeat and Discouragement.

Fellow writers:  Please tell me you have experienced this; that I'm not standing alone on the gallows of writer's remorse!


Have a Blessed Day!



3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, Patti. I know exactly what you mean. At least you know which character to listen to now. Sometimes I have no clue where I went wrong except that the "bland soup" I've created needs a whole lot of spicing up…or something. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Patti. I know exactly what you mean. At least you know there's a character to listen to. Sometimes I'm not sure what the problem is with the "bland soup" of an early draft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been through that as well! Ahhh, the life of a writer! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

Your comments are always appreciated!