Tuesday, June 24, 2014

HAVE A SEAT - MARIAN BAAY!

Marian Baay lives in the Netherlands, together with her husband and dog, near the North Sea. She enjoys reading a good book, hiking in the woods, dunes, or nature reserves. As a lover of animals, she has always had various pets to brighten her world. In the outdoors, her imagination runs wild and seeds for stories are planted there.  Marian likes to read and write in various genres, but romance is an important ingredient in her stories. The love between a man and woman is such a wonderful gift from God that she likes to add a touch of that heavenly delight into all her stories. Visit Marian’s blog to learn more about her: http://marianbaay.blogspot.nl/

What inspired you to become a writer?

About a year ago author Murray Pura asked me to participate in one of his new series. I had never given writing any serious thought, so I didn’t know how to answer that question as I’m a Dutch girl and English is not my first language. I didn’t think my English was good enough to write stories. Yes, I had written reviews for several years, but they were usually no more than 500 words. Now I was being asked to write a story of 10,000 words. Impossible! – or so I thought. 
I thanked Murray for the honor but said ‘no’. Despite my negative answer, he asked me again and I declined again. But a seed was already planted the first time he asked. I prayed about it and let it go. Then suddenly, in June, an idea for a Civil War romance popped into my mind. At first, I didn’t say anything to anyone and started writing the story in July. On the last day of July, I sent it to Murray and asked what he thought of it. I was surprised to hear that he liked it. He also said there was a slot in his Blue Heaven romance series and that he’d like to see the story published. And so it happened…After I had tasted the fun of writing, I was hooked and I hope to write more stories in the future.

Which one of your books do you consider your “pride and joy”? Why?

Well, I have only written two short stories so far and I am proud that I have accomplished writing them both. The first one, Heaven Is Not Far, is about a Dutchman who comes to America during the American Civil War, together with his dog—an Irish Setter, named Jessie. Jessie’s character is based on my own dog and I really enjoyedwriting her part. Visiting old memories and using them was lots of fun! Having written that first story and seeing it published surely made me proud.
But the real joy of writing came with the second story, The Officer’s Daughter (to be released soon), as I added several author friends as characters. It was so much fun writing about them and the best part probably was the fact that I could make them do anything I wanted. LOL

Do you have any preparation rituals before you begin to write?

I write best between 10 AM and 2 PM. Before I start writing, I walk the dog and have breakfast. Then I turn on the computer, check email and facebook, then get to my WIP and read over the last few pages that I have written to get back into the story, and last but most important; I pray that God gives me the words to write.

If you had to come up with a book title to describe your life, what would it be?

Probably Saved by Grace as that is what my life is all about. All other book titles I could come up with would be side branches of Saved by Grace.

If you had a chance to have dinner with any author who would it be?

Murray Pura

We all have family, work and other obligations…how do you maintain balance while in the middle of a writing project?

Like I mentioned above, I write between 10 AM and 2 PM. Everything else must be worked in according to that time frame. We don’t have children, so it is a bit easier for me to write during the daytime when my husband is at work.

What is the one piece of advice you received about writing that helped you the most?

Don’t write the character’s name every time you write about him. Use the word ‘he’ or ‘him’ when possible and you will discover that the story flows better. After I learned this, it also became the one thing that irritates me the most in books that I read.

Where can we purchase your books and how can we keep up with you? 

Heaven Is Not Far is available as ebook on Amazon KINDLE, Barnes & Noble NOOK, and KOBO. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FCK90DG/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/murray-puras-blue-heaven-romance-series-volume-4-heaven-is-not-far-murray-pura/1117208126?ean=2940148719250
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/books/murray-pura-s-blue-heaven-romance-series-volume-4-heaven-is-not-far/SUyVJar-TEuRs8HTLaFc9w?MixID=SUyVJar-TEuRs8HTLaFc9w&PageNumber=1

Helping Hands is working on printing all the volumes of the Blue Heaven romance series in one paperback, so eventually the story will also be available in the printed collection. When new stories release you can find them on my Amazon author page. I believe there is also a possibility to get a notification in the email when new titles release. I also have a blog where I post all sorts of stuff from personal things to reviews. You can subscribe to receive new blog posts in the email, or become a follower on Blogger. And I always like to make new friends on Facebook.

Last, but not least… What and when is your next release? Provide a brief synopsis…

The Officer’s Daughter is the second volume in Murray Pura’s new Civil War series, Let Freedom Ring. I hope it will release late May or June. Here’s the blurb:

Nashville, 1864. Canadian Andrew Burns is captain in the 10th Minnesota Infantry. One day he discovers that one of the privates in his company is a woman dressed like a man. When he gets to know the woman behind the male facade, he falls in love with her and promises to keep her secret.
Together with Corporal Dean, Private Calvin Mitchell is sent on an errand in the hills south of Nashville where the Confederate army is gathering and preparing for the upcoming battle. When two days later only Corporal Dean returns and tells a story that Private Mitchell is killed, Andrew becomes anxious. He is the only one who knows that Calvin Mitchell is a woman and he is determined to find her—dead or alive.

Thanks so much for having me, Patti. It was lots of fun answering your questions.

God bless!

8 comments:

  1. I love Marian Baay's stories and her ability to take the darkest period in our nation's history, and make it delightful and romantic w/out taking away from the atrocities of the Civil War. It was what it was. Great job, Ms. Baay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again, Patti! :)

    Meanwhile the 'next release' from your last question has released and can be found on Amazon. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNET26Q/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the interview and learning more about your writing journey, Marian!! Thanks, Patti and Marian!! I shared the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti thank you so much for this wonderful interview with Marian!! She is a beautiful person, inside and out, and an excellent writer!! Which of course I'm a little prejudiced since I am her "American Mom", lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super Marian, now I know why you are writing in English. Its amazing. Love it. Patti, thnaks for this good review

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!