Monday, June 23, 2014

A TASTY TREASURE!

My Beautiful Grandmother
Nellie Morse Davis
1894 - 1984
We came across a box yesterday, sealed with crisp, yellowing tape; an indication of long-lost memories. We were not disappointed. Among the small knick-knacks was a worn black book.  The spine was almost separated from the handwritten pages ... this was my grandmother's recipe book ... recipes for all the wonderful treats that awaited me on weekend visits!

What struck me as odd was although the ingredients were listed, very few of the recipes included step-by-step directions; in fact, they didn't include the baking temperature or time (hmmm). I thought I would share my favorite cookies, the ones she always had in her owl cookie jar (that I inherited), and one of her tasty relishes.  

My grandmother was also known for writing little quotes in books, on her calendars and on tiny slips of paper. (I think perhaps my love of writing came from her?) This is the quote in front of her recipe book.
What it says:  He who thinks by the inch and talks
by the yard should be moved by the foot!
















MOLASSES COOKIES
(Next to the name she wrote "good"
and from Mrs. Dunnings - her neighbor)

1 cup sugar
Nannie's Cookie Jar
1 cup crisco or shortening
1 egg well beaten
1 cup molasses
1 cup hot water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cloves
3 level teaspoons soda – dissolved in hot water
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
Flour to make dough to rolls
Take dripping pan turn upside down, grease and flour bottom
bake on top of inverted pan. Sprinkle with sugar on top of cookies.


CRANBERRY APPLE RELISH

4 cups cranberries – through food chopper
2 apples – peeled and cored – through food chopper
1 oranges – through food chopper
1 lemon – through food chopper
1 cups sugar

Mix well and chill in refrigerator




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!