Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Have a Seat...Janice L. Dick!


Janice L. Dick writes historical and contemporary fiction from her rural home on the Canadian prairies. She blogs, writes book reviews, does some editing and occasionally teaches writing workshops. Janice and her husband have three married children and ten amazing grandkids who often inspire her blogs.





What inspired you to become a writer?

I’ve always loved books and reading, but I didn’t know I could become a writer. Then in 1989 (yes, I know, that was in the past century) our local library hosted a presentation by a prolific author and I attended the event. We were encouraged to form a writing group, which some of us did, and that was the beginning.


Which of your books do you consider your “pride and joy?”

I’d have to say Calm Before the Storm is the book of my heart, because it was my first. I’d love to do a complete edit because I have learned some things since then, but the story and its characters are still very close to my heart.


Do you have any preparation rituals before you begin to write?

I shouldn’t admit this, but I check my emails and Facebook pages when I open my laptop. This is a ritual I need to adjust. Other than that, I like to send up a prayer to the “God who uses ink” to be present with me as I write. NOTE: God Uses Ink is the former name of the annual Write! Canada Conference.
If you had to come up with a book title to describe your life, what would it be?

Boundary Lines in Pleasant Places. It’s from Psalm 16:6. I want that verse chiseled on my gravestone. 


If you had a chance to have dinner with any author, who would it be?

I’d have to say Bodie Thoene because she was my initial inspiration to write. I almost met her once when she and Brock were invited to a Living Books event in Borden SK, but they had a newborn grandbaby and Bodie opted to stay back with the family. I talked with Brock and tried to keep my disappointment hidden!


We all have family, work and other obligations. How do you maintain balance while in the middle of a writing project?

Our kids are all grown and flown, so mostly it’s just me and my dear hubby, but that doesn’t mean life doesn’t get in the way. We have ten grandkids, I have commitments in community and church, and there’s the inevitable procrastination issue. And I’m a bit OCD so I need to keep my house in fairly decent order. But I try to do busy things in the house and social media in the mornings, then buckle down in the afternoon. There’s an idea: a buckle on my writing chair.


What is the one piece of advice you received about writing that helped you the most?

It’s tough to single one out. Perhaps something Angela Hunt said in a keynote address (my version): “There will always be people who write better than you do, and there will always be people who don’t write as well as you do. The point is to do your best with the gifts you’ve been given.” This advice has been an encouragement and a motivation through the years.


Where can we purchase your books and how can we keep up with you?

All my books are available at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Janice-L.-Dick/e/B001KIAKLK/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1
My website, which opens to my blog page, is at www.janicedick.com.
If you’re interested in any other connections, I’ll list them here as well:
Last, but not least, what and when is your next release? Provide a brief synopsis.

As I mentioned above, Other Side of the River is coming out in volumes. At the date of this writing, the sixth has been released. There are nine volumes, after which time the book will be available as a complete digital and print book. River is the story of a group of Mennonites who moved from western Siberia to the far eastern edge of Russia, along the border of China, to escape the Soviet regime, then fled across the river into China in 1930. It’s based on a true and fascinating event. 

I’ve also been working to complete the sequel to River. So far the working title is In a Foreign Land. This is the story of one of the families that escaped across the river and lived in Manchuria for twenty years. It’s also based on fact, including the political chaos of post war China, Russia’s subtle invasion and the Korean War. I’m hoping this book will follow River once that’s out. 

5 comments:

  1. It's nice to read more about your journey, Janice. The quote by Angela Hunt is a winner and one I'll remember for a long time.

    Thanks, ladies, for a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning ladies! Nice seeing more of Janice! And love the quote from Angela Hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Patti for having me on her blog. Always nice to get to know people better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for participating.......I agree with the others....the quote is awesome!

      Delete
  4. That is wonderful advice. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!