Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Contact

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Have a Seat ... Travis Perry!



Travis Perry was born in Montana in 1968 and raised in that state. The Crystal Portal, published in 2011, is his first novel, coauthored with Mike Lynch. He also contributed to the short story collections Stories From a Soldiers Heart, Aquasynthesis, Aquasynthesis Again, and Avenir Eclectia Volume 1, is publishing a series of short stories linked to his blog, and has contributed to the story series No Revolution is Too Big and Colony Zero. An Army Reserve officer who deployed for the Gulf War and later to Iraq, Afghanistan, and Africa, his writing reflects his lifelong interest in science fiction and fantasy, his strong Christian beliefs, and his knowledge of modern warfare.

                                                 

What inspired you to become a writer?

I always made up stories in my head. As a kid I hated writing (and still don't really love it) but I found out I have the skill to write when in college writing history papers. Eventually I realized the stories I love to create can benefit other people if I put them in writing (I was in my late 30s when I realized this).

Which of of your books do you consider your “pride and joy”?  Why?

Avenir Eclectia is probably my favorite book. It's a collection of short stories that I edited and in which I wrote the plurality of the stories. I arranged separate stories in a world created by Grace Bridges into a single narrative. The original idea of doing that was mine and I felt it turned out very well. My most positive experience both as an editor and a writer.

Do you have any preparation rituals before you begin to write?

Not really. I pray a bit before I do, usually.

If you had to come up with a book title to describe your life, what would it be?

Lone Survivor--oh wait, that's title's already been used... how about My Struggle? (oh, that's been used too, in German no less...er...) Er...I dunno...

If you had a chance to have dinner with any author who would it be?

Living? Stephen King. Living or dead? C. S. Lewis...well, maybe Lewis. There are so many dead authors I like--maybe I'd prefer Victor Hugo...

We all have family, work and other obligations...how do you maintain balance 
while in the middle of a writing project?

Balance? What is this thing you describe, balance? ;)

What is the one piece of advice you received about writing that helped you the most?

Make sure your audience can understand what you mean.

Where can we purchase your books and how can we keep up with you?



Last, but not least.....What and when is your next release? Provide a brief synopsis....

Probably the next thing I will release is a novella I will publish myself called, "Medieval Mars." Imagine a terraformed Mars in the future that has a technological fall into an age of knights and armor. Imagine a battle across Olympus Mons, the highest and largest known mountain in the entire universe, which is over 15 miles tall, with a surface area as large as France.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to meet you, Travis! Blessings to you and your writing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!