Sunday, April 27, 2014

Have a Seat, Mike Lynch!

Mike Lynch's first book, Dublin, came out in 2007, followed by When the Sky Fell, American Midnight, The Crystal Portal, After the Cross, and Love’s Second Chance. His next novel, After the Sky Fell, is scheduled to be released in 2014. He has also published numerous short stories, novellas and writing articles in various magazines. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with his wife and two children.







What inspired you to become a writer?

I believe writers are born writers, not made. I know that's true in my case since I had little interest in books or reading growing up. My interest was more in the area of movies and television. Since I'm a visual learner that makes sense. As someone who enjoys stories, I found myself writing short stories growing up for my own enjoyment. I never had any intention of getting them published, but I believe we are all born with God-given gifts, given to us to honor Him and for the benefit of others. Shortly after high school, I suddenly had the idea I could write a novel. That was truly a surprise for me, given my background, but thought I would give it a shot. It was a science fiction story based upon the premise 1000 alien ships were presently headed toward Earth for the sole purpose of destroying it, and we had little chance of stopping them. With that simple idea, I spent the next several months fleshing it out. As you can imagine, it was pretty bad, and worked on it off and on for the next 28 years, honing down the story until it was in publishable shape. My perseverance paid off, and I eventually found a publisher for When the Sky Fell in 2009.


Which one of your books do you consider your “pride and joy?” Why?

That would be easy. It is my novel, After the Cross. There are two reasons for this. First, I believe I have written a good story that will hold a person's interest from start to finish. I have a passion for history, and I took actual history about the cross of Jesus, and wrote a story around it I feel is not only believable, but it is also filled with intriguing characters the reader cares about as they are taken on an exciting adventure 2,000 years in the making.

The second reason After the Cross is my favorite story is because the reader walks away with a better understanding of what purpose the cross of Jesus served, and how it plays such an integral part of the story.  Different people have different perceptions of the cross, from that of a fairy tale, to the Son of God dying for the sins of humanity.  The story conveys to the reader that the physical cross of Jesus, though an object of tremendous historical value, was not the mechanism of salvation as described in the gospels.  As the New Testament attests, Jesus was the son of God, conceived by the Holy Spirit, born as a baby, lived a sinless life, sacrificed Himself on the cross so that man's sins were forgiven, and that gift of sacrifice must be personally received for the forgiveness of their sins, which will be ultimately realized after death when every believer will live in heaven with Him for all eternity.  The main characters in the story all see the cross in very different ways--one as a threat to their plans and must be destroyed, another a magical talisman that can heal, another as a means of wealth and fame, and finally the one who sees it correctly as a symbol of what Christianity is actually about. Not many writers have the opportunity to share what they truly believe about God and salvation, and get to do it in way that respects the reader.


Do you have any preparation rituals before you begin to write?

I like to go over the previous chapter before I write. It enables me to fix any problems I come across, and it helps me get back into the story. I find it a far easier way to start the next chapter rather than jumping into it cold.
If you had to come up with a book title to describe your life, what would it be?

     Unexpected Journey

If you had a chance to have dinner with any author who would it be?

Rod Serling. He was a great writer who touched on a lot of different genres.

We all have family, work and other obligations...
How do you maintain balance while in the middle of a writing project?

It's just a matter of setting priorities. When it's time to write, that's what I do. But I am also a father and husband, and my family needs me to be there for them as well. It's a matter of turning off the computer and spending that needed time with them. If it takes longer for me to finish my writing project as a result, then so be it.
What is the one piece of advice you received about writing that helped you the most?

Never settle for mediocre writing. Do you best, and then do even better. That is how you show your respect for the reader.
Where can we purchase your books and how can we keep up with you?

The best place to see my stories and the links where they can all be purchased is on my website: mikelynchbooks.com


Last, but not least.....What and when is your next release? Provide a brief synopsis....

My latest novel, After the Sky Fell, is coming out sometime this year. It is a sequel to my first novel, When the Sky Fell.  The story picks up 30 years after the first one ends, in which Commander Frank Yamane’s grave warnings of the Deravan's imminent return from an unexplored part of the galaxy have gone unheeded. Once hailed as a hero who saved Earth from certain destruction, he is now seen as a relic from a past most people would soon forget.
     Mired in petty squabbles and clashes over limited resources, the solar governments that still exist are consumed by their own self-interests, while millions of survivors cling to a tenuous existence. Yamane fears an increase in hostilities will break out into open war, and is sent as an ambassador to broker a peace agreement against Earth’s most fearsome rival, the Jovian Alliance.
     What he doesn’t realize is that the Deravans are behind it all, and it is their intent to eliminate humanity in one fell swoop, and claim what they have craved since the dawn of time—unquestioned dominion over the galaxy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!