Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or Leader of Rachel's Hope, unless otherwise stated.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

FAITH AND FANTASY FOOTBALL - A SHORT STORY



CHAPTER 1:  PRE-DRAFT PREP

2 Timothy 2:4 : “To satisfy the one who recruited him, a soldier does not become entangled in the business affairs of life”.

It had arrived...what I had yearned for throughout the monotonous winter, spring and summer…NFL Fantasy Football season!!!!!

This year I was going to be fully prepared. I was going to have the team of teams. I was confident my husband would understand my need to watch the NFL live draft in April without interruption and more than willing to stay home for those two critical days, watch the kids AND pay for my hotel and room-service . He would also appreciate the importance of hiring a live-in housekeeper/nanny/cook for the month of August while I pull up two years worth of player performance records, create spreadsheets, graph results and watch all pre-season games, monitor trades, cuts and acquisitions.

Now, it was obvious to me this strategy was totally workable; however, my husband evidently didn't understand the intricacies involved in this endeavor. I was relegated to mundane domesticity that forced me to squeeze in prep whenever I could. I sincerely apologize to the man carrying the hot cup of coffee that I ran into while watching the NFL draft on my cell phone at the dry cleaners. I didn't mean to walk out of the grocery store without paying … I got a tweet about some shocking news regarding a contract dispute and it could have involved one of my team hopefuls. And to my bridge group … I really don't recall saying I couldn't play because I had a rare form of migraines that only attack in August and necessitate the need to stay indoors, alone, in the dark to keep them at bay.

As for my husband, I do not apologize to him for having to repaint the interior of our house on evenings and weekends. While intensively studying stats, I must not have heard the kids mention “walls” when asked if they could draw something with magic markers. Had he been more accommodating, that would have been completely avoidable along with the all the meal delivery costs. It wasn't safe for me to be around open flames and sharp utensils at such a crucial phase of my fantasy career.



COME BACK TOMORROW...THE STORY CONTINUES!


4 comments:

  1. I must remember to come back to read the rest! Happy weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a football fanatic, but your story made me chuckle.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!