Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or any other ministries.

Friday, August 28, 2015

The Cross




This past week has been incredibly challenging.  Having round two of a root canal on Monday started it off with the expected swelling and jaw pain, and I was advised it could last up to a week.  Along with the root canal pain, I also was plagued by a horrific headache.  Being a recovering alcoholic, I try to avoid taking narcotic pain medication, but I did take some the first few days.  They zoned me out and concentration was out of the question.  I didn’t like the feeling either (thank goodness!).  The family has been wonderful helping out around the house, but I still needed to prepare for a healing retreat that I’m facilitating tomorrow.  Knowing the pain medication made me loopy (more than usual), I stopped taking it so I could get the materials organized.   

Once everything was put together, I felt compelled to make a wooden cross and decorate it for the AGAPE ceremony we plan to use during the program.  We have a cross at our other retreat facility I could have borrowed, but as I said, I felt compelled.  I am not “artsy-craftsy” by any means, in fact, my art teacher in college asked me to drop his class.  But ... I had an image in my mind and wasn’t going to let that memory dissuade me.  After dad and I had found some wood in the garage, we took turns sawing and made the cross, then I took to the road to find the perfect flowers and other supplies needed.  

After the project was completed (it took two days), I realized focusing on the cross brought me so much joy I forgot about the pain.  

Only in the Cross of Christ will we receive power when we are powerless. 
We will find strength when we are weak. 
We will experience hope when our situation is hopeless. 
Only in the Cross is there peace for our troubled hearts. 
~Michael Youssef

 This is just a portion.  It
stands about 5'. It might not be a masterpiece,
but with my limited talent...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated!