Note

NOTE: Commentary is made as a private citizen and not as Regional Coordinator for Silent No More or any other ministries.

Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Blank Zone

There's nothing more frightening for a writer -- staring at a blank page. Deep within our souls the words are there, but something keeps them from reaching the tips of our fingers and onto the keyboard.  It's the dreaded writer's block.  If I had a dollar for every time that has happened, I'd be able to afford Seattle Seahawks season tickets on the second level, fifty yard line -- plus the funds fly up there for every game.

When entering the "blank zone," I either stare at the computer screen hoping words miraculously appear or close my eyes, take a deep breath and pray. You'd think the latter would be automatic, but nooooo, not for me. I sometimes get a crazy notion I'm in control, and end up wasting a considerable amount of time frustrated with a strong desire to throw the laptop out the window ... and I know God is watching, shaking His head and smiling.

When faced with a blank page, be it while writing or waking to a new day, we need to look upwards and say, "Okay, God, it's all yours."  We will, at times, succumb to self-will; we're human.  Be comforted knowing all He wants us to do is try ... He expects progress not perfection.


Trust in the LORD with all your heart, on your own intelligence do not rely;
In all your ways be mindful of him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 (NABRE)







2 comments:

  1. When I'm having problems writing, I take a break and do something else I enjoy. Often a word, a picture, or a scripture verse will trigger a train of thought that gets the words flowing again.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated!