This blog is the intellectual property of Patti J. Smith. Use of any quotation in part or whole, without her approval is illegal.
I'm truly happy you dropped by ~ feel free to share your thoughts, ask a question or just say ... "Hi"!

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Have a Seat ... Susan J. Reinhardt!



Susan J. Reinhardt's publishing credits include her debut novel, The Moses Conspiracy, The Scent of Fear, as well as devotionals, short articles, and contributions to anthologies. She is a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers. A widow, daughter, step-mom and active church member, Susan resides in Pennsylvania. When not writing, she enjoys spending time with family and friends, reading, couponing, gardening and finding small treasures in antique shops.







What inspired you to become a writer?

I can't pinpoint a specific moment. Over the years, I've written everything from short Christmas pieces to Bible studies, but never thought of myself as a writer with a capital "W." My late husband encouraged me to attend my first writer's conference in 2004 where an editor asked me to write a devotional for her publication. I guess you could say that I grew into my writer dress.

Which of your books do you consider your "pride and joy?" Why?

Without a doubt, "The Moses Conspiracy" holds that distinction. It was and is the story of my heart and took 8 years to write, edit, and get published. I cut my writing teeth on this book.

Do you have any preparation rituals before you begin to write?

Uh, turn on the computer? Don't laugh - some days that's a big deal.

If you had come up with a book title to describe your life, what would it be?

The Perils of Pauline. Oops, that's been taken, but you get the idea. It's not been an easy road. Just when my writing dreams were moving forward, my beloved husband was diagnosed with leukemia and died 14 months later. I'm so grateful to the Lord that He's sustained me through difficult periods of my life.

If you had a chance to have dinner with any author, who would it be?

Ooo, tough question! There are so many authors I respect. If I have to choose one, it would be Francine Rivers. Her book Redeeming Love has it all - amazing writing and a strong Biblical message wrapped in a great story.  

We all have family, work and other obligations...How do you maintain balance while in the middle of a writing project?

A pastor once told me that when he went on the mission field, the order of the day was:  a flashlight, flipflops and flexibility.  No matter what we do we'll face challenges setting priorities.  The key for me is putting the Lord first in my life. When I'm flexible and yield to His leading, everything else seems to fall into place.

What is the one piece of advice you received about writing that helped you the most?

Agent Rachelle Gardner wrote a blog post and advised aspiring authors to write more than one book. Agents and editors like to see you can produce multiple titles. They're looking for authors with a future, not one-book wonders.


Where can we purchase your books, and how can we keep up with you?

The Moses Conspiracy - AMAZON LINK 
The Scent of Fear - AMAZON LINK
The Christmas Wish -AMAZON LINK
Twitter: @susanjreinhardt
I'm also on Google+, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.

Last, but not least...What and when is your next release?

I'm currently working on the third book of The Moses Conspiracy trilogy. I'm close to half way through the first draft, so I don't know when it will be released. The working title is, "Out of the Mist." Since I'm a Seat-of-the-Pants writer, I don't have a synopsis written yet. My characters still have surprises up their sleeves. :)



11 comments:

  1. Hi Patti -

    Thanks for having me on your blog today. It's always fun to chat with you.

    I'll be back later to say, "Hi," to your readers.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for allowing me to "grill" you!!!! :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful interview! Enjoyed it very much. Having read The Moses Conspiracy, I can see where it would be Susan's pride and joy. :) Thank you both for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Karen!!!

      Delete
    2. Hi Karen - Aww, thanks! Patti came up with some awesome questions.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed this interview. I always enjoy hearing from another seat-of-the-pantser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should start a support group, Davalyn. It's a little intimidating being around so many plotters. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan! Nice to learn a little bit more about you! Blessings as you write book 3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen - Thanks for stopping by and commenting. This is actually book 4 if you count my novella, The Christmas Wish. It has the same characters as The Moses Conspiracy with some new ones added. :)

      Delete
  5. Great interview Susan! You're inspiring, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. What a nice thing to say. I'm still pinching myself to make sure it's real. :)

      Delete

Your comments are always appreciated!